src="https://update.vivaldi.com/stats/piwik.php?idsite=1&rec=1&bots=1" style="border:0;" alt=""

Help: Open URL / search term in background tab // auto-hide address bar // themes not changing

• Hey, I just started using Vivaldi a few days ago, and overall it's serving my needs excellently! There are a few minor things, however, which I have been able to figure out how to do, if they are at all possible at the time being: When typing addresses or search terms in the address bar, I would like to be able to open them in a background tab. In Chrome, hitting cmd+enter (presumably ctrl+enter on Windows) does this, but it doesn't appear to be working in Vivaldi. Pressing alt+enter opens them in a new tab, but I would like that tab to be in the background, rather than in focus. Second, is there a way to auto-hide the address bar, so that when it's not being typed in, it disappears? Most of the time, I'm not interested in seeing the address bar, so hiding it is fine, but this doesn't let me see it and type in it with a single command. What I would like to do, is have the bar be hidden by default until activated, either by opening a new tab or by pressing cmd+L. At the moment I have to first show it, and then focus; and while it is only one more keystroke, it does make it more of a hassle. Third, in relation to scheduling themes: the themes don't seem to change in an active window, so I have to either open a new window or quit and relaunch the browser for the theme to change. (Note that in the case of opening a new window, the original window doesn't change themes.) Is there a way to make open windows change too? Apologies if these questions have already been posed elsewhere, but I have not been able to find what I am looking for.

• I came across this post searching for solutions to everything mentioned above. Has anything changed with respect to address bar focus while hidden, and opening searches in background tabs?

It would be great to be able to keep the address bar hidden until it was needed. Triggering focus via Cmd+L would ideally unhide it, allow a new search term or address to be typed, and then autohide again after the page was loaded.

The quick commands box doesn't seem to quite make up for all of the address bar's functionality (e.g. autocompletion).

• By the way, I should mention that you can open address bar searches in a background tab by holding down ctrl in addition to alt+enter (or shift+enter if you so choose in the settings).

ctrl+alt+enter = background tab search, but I don't know if this was true at the time of your post. This ties into wanting the option for tab opening to default to background.

Apologies for the additional post, it doesn't look like I can edit. I'm very curious if any solution to hiding the address bar when not in focus has been found.

• @fightmilk
    As a kind of workaround you could hide the address bar via "Ctrl+Q" than press "F2" to show the Quickcommandmenu and enter whatever you like hit enter and the box is gone.
    But a real solution for an autohiding addressbar or it's customisation ain't ready yet.

@fightmilk said in Help: Open URL / search term in background tab // auto-hide address bar // themes not changing:

I came across this post searching for solutions to everything mentioned above.

Do you still experience the bug where you have to open a new window to see the change in themes? o_0 this was fixed a long time ago afaik (just tested it myself a few minutes back and everything worked as it should)

Sidenote: You can edit/delete your posts for 1 hour when you click the 3 vertical dots on the right side below your post. If you want to change something after that period you need to contact a moderator or just post another comment.

• This old thread did not fully load before I posted my reply.

1. Try Ctrl + Alt + Enter
    2. Disable the Address Bar and use Quick Commands instead (F2)
    3. I think scheduled themes change according to the time of day only

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.