Details log for startup times



  • Hello all, all of a sudden, the startup times have become incredibly slow (as compared to before the update to 1.5.627.3) over here. Before pointing the finger to the runtime I want to check, wether one of my (~ 30 tabs) is to blame for. Is there a "simple" chromium/Vivaldi inbuild (extension) option to log and display the browser component's startup sequence and their processing/loading times? someone


  • Moderator

    Not that I'm aware of. Other, more technical-minded folks may know.

    All I know is that startup times for me, here, have not changed and are not at all slow. This is for multiple versions on multiple machines.



  • I am also facing this issue on Windows 10 Pro.

    As a web developer, this is certainly very annoying.
    The start up times vary from 15 to 30 seconds on a workstation/gaming computer.

    What I noticed, is that it actually starts up in less than a second or two; however, the browser simply doesn't show or register itself to the Windows task-bar.

    This can be confirmed by opening an auto-playing Youtube link that causes Vivaldi to run a cold-start.
    The video plays… but the browser simply doesn't show up until after 30 seconds. This is extremely frustrating.

    If there's any information I can provide in order to squash this bug, please let me know.

    Cheers!



  • Hi Ayespy,

    thanks. I was afraid of this answer since my former web searches weren't really helpful either.

    First I thought the main culprit is my profile which somehow got slightly "damaged". But I'm yet hesitating to go the brute force way by simply building up a new one. Firstly, while "rebooting" mostly helps - it leaves me without understanding the root cause(s). And secondly, since there's no official export procedure for settings yet it is a rather dull task (especially re-installation of my extensions).

    So I had a further look on what's happening. After starting up Vivaldi the core Vivaldi tasks are appearing normally fast in the task manager. But then it takes 20-30 secs until the GUI pops up. I guess that's what sybrew has just described.

    I'm better waiting for some more technical-minded folks to chime in. For a developer this should be a daily task.

    Thanks again.

    someone



  • Update: Clearing the private data seemed to cure the problem over here. I guess the history (~ 3.000 entries) was the problem.

    @sybrew: have you tried that already?

    someone



  • I tried and in fact it solves a problem, but I can expect it happen again anytime soon as this is workaround solution. There must be something wrong in a way data is handled, because 15 - 30 sec startup time is a nightmare and will disqualify this browser for many…

    @someone:

    Update: Clearing the private data seemed to cure the problem over here. I guess the history (~ 3.000 entries) was the problem.

    @sybrew: have you tried that already?

    someone



  • Hi majkelu,

    I agree completely. I Just gave forgotten to add that to my post. Even 30.000 entries should be really nothing worth thinking about.

    someone



  • It's worth noting that deleting the browsing history defaults to the past hour. That cannot be right, surely?

    [attachment=4704]DeletePrivateData.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:



  • @Pesala:

    It's worth noting that deleting the browsing history defaults to the past hour. That cannot be right, surely?

    Better to delete everything by mistake, if you're in hurry?



  • @The_Solutor:

    Better to delete everything by mistake, if you're in hurry?

    It should be is set to whatever was used last time. Clearing the browsing history for the last hour by mistake would likely compromise a user's privacy on a shared PC, so yes, it would be better to delete everything by default.



  • Hi! It has been a long time.

    I've stuck with this browser regardless of this most annoying issue (as the feature set is most brilliant), and I think I found the cause:

    The amount of downloads displayed in the sidebar obviously accumulate over time... and this list seems to get pre-rendered every time you start up the browser; causing this massive delay: whilst using SSD or not.
    I could verify this by clearing solely this list.

    I'd suggest either only loading invisible items when requested (ugh), or add a delay onto them at startup; preferably postponed until after the page has finished rendering (yay).
    I believe the priority of the browser should be displaying the request pages, before the goodies that come with it.

    Also, the amount of browsing history items didn't affect performance for me.

    I hope this helps! Cheers :)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.