Feature Request: Font replacement table

• Hi all, I'd like to request a feature that replaces certain fonts in a way that is defined by the user, i. e.: Any occurrence of Arial should be replaced with Verdana. Known methods of doing this include: [ul] [li]— A [i]user.css[/i] file. That way, defining [u]* { font-family: Verdana !important }[/u] is possible, but will not render the intended results, since any text node will have Verdana as font, whether it has originally been defined to have Arial or not.[/li] [li]— A user JS file scanning all text nodes in a document, comparing their computed font-family value against "Arial" comes very close to the intended result, but imposes a huge performance hit.[/li] [/ul] [b]This is why I propose a more fine-grained font control mechanism.[/b] Modern browsers' UI already allow overriding the generic font families (serif, sans-serif, monospace), but this only works where Arial hasn't been specifically defined. Unfortunately, explicit Arial finds its way into the CSS a site serves, many times right after Helvetica as primary choice in the "font stack". Instead of doing the replacement via JS after the document has become ready, it would do the font replacement while parsing any CSS. Maybe it can be done by Vivaldi devs, maybe it can only be done upstream. For those asking, why all this: [ul] [li]— Arial's glyphs has severe legibility issues. This is not limited to Arial alone, but any neo-grotesque type face when it comes to distinguishing look-alike characters like lI (small letter L, capital i) and O0 (capital o, digit zero).[/li] [li]— Arial is primary concern here due to its spreading like a cancer since the early days Windows 9x, when it was a "[url=https://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/web.aspx]Microsoft Core Font for the Web[/url]". It seems many designers just focus on the looks rather than functionality. Many designers work with a Mac, where Helvetica looks and renders much better than its weird Microsoft clone named Arial, but it still has the same legibility issues as outlined above. The same goes for Roboto on Android systems and many "preferred" free sans-serif/neo-grotesque fonts on Linux desktops.[/li] [li]— These legibility issues already have cause and keep on causing misunderstandings and trouble. For example, Twitter fake accounts mimicking official Police due to the ambiguity of l and I — see the difference in this sentence without using any post-processing trickery? This is not a sinister joke, it [url=https://twitter.com/polizeiberlin/status/785516486353883136]just happened[/url].[/li] [/ul] I don't suggest people using Arial as a part of their basic CSS font definition are being ignorant. This font has been with us for so long, the [url=http://www.marksimonson.com/notebook/view/the-scourge-of-arial]issue is not new[/url], but it's also [url=http://www.64notes.com/design/stop-helvetica-arial/]far from being old and busted[/url]. So, a font replacement table would be an awesome thing, allowing anyone to make his own choice. Without being touched, everything stays the way it's been. No-one can force "right" or "wrong" design decisions on webmasters. No-one can force users to go through the hassle of adjusting settings or creating their personal JS hacks to fix things. But we can make the web a better place by giving the user more control on how things appear. Constructive comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.

• If I understood correctly - making Vivaldi use and render fonts separately from Windows and thus making them look better and easier to distinguish certain similar symbols, then yes, I'm all for it.

Edge and IE are rendering fonts differently from other browsers and fonts there actually look better.

• Good idea to have such table for webpages.
    I asked for such feature and reported it to Vivaldi'S bugtracker as VB-22161 "Font substitution table for webpages"

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.