Ctrl-F search doesn't work properly

• So when I load a new site and press control-F and try searching for text sometimes it doesn't find anything at all even if you search for something really basic like "a". Here is a screenshot of search finding nothing: [attachment=4665]search.png[/attachment] And here after I refresh the site couple of times and close and open the search. Usually it start working if you just remove the text from the search and write it again but not always. In this case it needed refreshing: [attachment=4666]search2.png[/attachment] It is not site specific. I think it could be happening if you press ctrl-F before a site has fully loaded for the first time. Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/77656/search.png[/img],[img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/77656/search2.png[/img]

• @Aghors:

I think it could be happening if you press ctrl-F before a site has fully loaded for the first time.

Actually, the search does still work, but the highlighting does not. You have to wait for the page to fully load, or retype the search string after it has fully loaded to see the highlighting.

It would be a lot to expect search to work on a page that has not yet loaded!

• @Pesala:

@Aghors:

I think it could be happening if you press ctrl-F before a site has fully loaded for the first time.

Actually, the search does still work, but the highlighting does not. You have to wait for the page to fully load, or retype the search string after it has fully loaded to see the highlighting.

No it flatout doesn't work because the search did not find anything in the first pic I showed. It has found 0/0 out of the text I'm trying to search. In the 2nd pic when it does work it can find 27 items matching what I was looking for. If you read my post I clearly mention that retyping the search string did not fix it and even if it would fix it it would still clearly be a bug.

95% of the time it works fine. Maybe 5% this happens. Or 3%. Or 1%.

I don't remember having this issue in the last version of vivaldi.

@Pesala:

It would be a lot to expect search to work on a page that has not yet loaded!

Clearly that is not what I meant. My assumption is that if you press control-F before the page has loaded, then wait until the site has loaded and then start typing your search text into the search the search won't work. That, I think, could trigger the bug sometimes.

Which can easily happen on slower connections because a page can look like it has fully loaded but is still loading something when you press ctrl-F. Sometimes parts of a page can be unavailable too or download really slowly.

If the ctrl-F can't be initiated during page loading then ctrl-F should not open before it is ready to be used.

• Vivaldi Translator

I'd like to add something to this thread as I noticed another oddity with the [Ctrl][F] search function related to the number of incidents found.
    [ol]

• Open a website, search for a commonly used word, step through the incidents found, the pointer (counter) is updated correctly
    • Browse into a PDF, search for a commonly used word, step through the incidents found, the pointer (counter) remains stuck at 1 of total
      [/ol]

[attachment=4671]Afbeelding002.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• I also sometimes get this problem. And I don't know if it search without indication. Because there's still 0/0 result. The same apply for me when I press F3.

From point of user, I can call this bug. Simply when I open tab and press CTRL+F, this should work. Working like we're able to enter text, and search, but result is incorrect seams like bug to me.

I guess when page is loading, from time to time, there could be some content still loading. Sometimes you can see content of page, but some script or useless media is still loading. In this moment when I press search, it should even work right away. Or if the problem is, that it can be working correctly, than behavior of this should change to something like this:

1. I'm able to write keyword(s) even while page is still loading. Still if it's not possible to search right away, it should notify me/write some notification like "Please wait while page is fully loaded…", and don't write "0/0". Maybe change "0/0" to this notification text. Or do something to know, that result is not correct. Then auto trigger search when page is fully loaded.

2. Disable search when page is not fully loaded. Still in this option many will write bug report about not working. So I guess there should be some way to let user know what's going on.

Because from point of what user see, current behavior is simply buggy and misleading.

• @stealth789:

I also sometimes get this problem. And I don't know if it search without indication. Because there's still 0/0 result. The same apply for me when I press F3.
    ….....

Agreed, II would call it a bug because the counter gets stuck at 0/0 even if the page completely loads before ctrl-F is used again. This makes it cumbersome to search for the same string on many different pages. I think it may be a regression from previous versions.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.