Big and Powerful but Free

• Not all freeware is just a simple utility. Here's a few that are well worth using. As with all freeware, take special care not to install toolbars, Chrome, or other junk with them. Where I have written a review, I give a link to my review page — there's a download link there if it looks to be of interest to you:

Updated to fix links, remove obsolete software, and to add MainType, which is now available in a free, cut-down version.

• what do you mean by big? jarte is a small program that is resource friendly. its portable zip is under 4 mb.

• Free soft often is a good and powerfull alternative for comercial soft for example
    Open Office, Libre Office, Calligra and others ar excelent suites same as MS Office, Gimp, Cine Paint and Krita are very good altenatives for Painshop.
    Others no have an alternative comercial, like IrfanView, a very powerfull and fast image and multimedia viewer with a lot of functions for editing, capturing and change formats
    A better mediaplayer than VLC? I don't know

The free alternatives (and powerful in their own right) that I use rather than the big, expensive applications are:
    Free Office (by Softmaker) - smaller package, less resource-hungry, and more MS Office-compatible than OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
    Paint.NET - VERY capable free image processing software. Does essentially everything.
    I have GIMP installed, and it's very powerful, but I'm not terribly fond of it. The learning curve is quite long, I feel. Paint.NET is much more intuitive in my view.
    PDF-Xchange
    XnView
    VLC
    Media Player Classic
    Any Video Converter Free (converts any cell phone, tablet or camera video to any format that your end user can actually play) - I use free version 3.5.2. There is an actual reason why I decided not to use later versions, but I can't remember what it was.

• Whilst i've so far found nothing in the Linux world as good as the wonderful PDF-XChange Editor for Windows, this one is nonetheless pretty good, & is my current default; Master PDF Editor https://code-industry.net/

For Linux screen-capture, Shutter is fantastically handy & flexible. For sandboxing security, FireJail is powerful. For music-playing, Clementine is impressive. For personal finance management, KMyMoney is superb [on the whole far better than [i]GnuCash]. For powerful Notes management; CherryTree [& [i]KeepNote a worthy second]. PIM = FossaMail [originally based on [i]Thunderbird+Lightning, but now fully independent code base, supposedly]. Tasks Management; Task Coach. Office Suite [only word processor, spreadsheet & presentation]; WPS Office for Linux [incredibly similar to [i]MS Office 2010; ripoff perhaps? FAR better file compatibility with Office 2010 than LibreOffice [hate it]]. Network connections inspection; Net Activity Viewer [but beware, after some hours its RAM use climbs from a few hundred MB, to several GB, so needs to be periodically closed & reopened]. For disk consumption inspection & management; K4DirStat. Passwords Management; KeePass2. Computer remote control; TeamViewer. Virtual keyboard; xvkbd. eBook management; calibre. Local drives text search; Recoll [staggeringly good].
    …....................................................................................
    My on-SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2.

• Given Ayespy's interesting mention of FreeOffice, I had a little look at the website. The killer for me, which unequivocally eliminates it as a candidate for me, is that contrary to its own bold insinuation, it is NOT 100% compatible with MS Office 2010 files in truth. Its own website http://www.freeoffice.com/en/discover/freeoffice-windows-linux, when carefully read. makes this clear. It can READ doc & docx, xls & xlsx, ppt & pptx BUT it can only SAVE as doc, xls & ppt. For the full file compatibility, one has to go back to their proprietary paid product, SoftMaker Office. For me, historically & prospectively, saving not merely reading the *.***x file format is critical. This is the primary reason i don't use LibreOffice [+ its horrible GUI], nor FreeOffice, & why discovery of WPS Office for Linux was such a pivotal ingredient in achieving my full-time migration from Windows7/10 to Linux [with an array of impressive productive GNU software per my previous post].

• @Ayespy:

The free alternatives (and powerful in their own right) that I use rather than the big, expensive applications are:
    Free Office (by Softmaker) - smaller package, less resource-hungry, and more MS Office-compatible than OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
    Paint.NET - VERY capable free image processing software. Does essentially everything.
    I have GIMP installed, and it's very powerful, but I'm not terribly fond of it. The learning curve is quite long, I feel. Paint.NET is much more intuitive in my view.
    PDF-Xchange
    XnView
    VLC
    Media Player Classic
    Any Video Converter Free (converts any cell phone, tablet or camera video to any format that your end user can actually play) - I use free version 3.5.2. There is an actual reason why I decided not to use later versions, but I can't remember what it was.

Paint.NET is a good alternative, but not more powerfull than some editos online, like SumoPaint, Pixlr and others.
    I know XnView, is a good visor, but IrfanView is better.
    I´m using a lot of utilities online too.
    For videoconverting and editing for example
    Animoto
    VideoToolbox
    YouTube Creator page
    and others
    For PDF
    PDF Tools
    PDFtoWord
    SmalPDF

Offimatic
    MS Office online https://www.office.com/

For creating music a very powerfull studio online AudioSauna

And a lot of more utílities listed in my page (in spanish, simple design, y used it for save my bookmarks initially, sorry for this)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.