Screen artifacting only in Vivaldi?

• It started happening just today right after I woke up my PC. I started getting weird artifacts, and it doesn't happen in any other browser, application, or game. The artifacts go away temporarily when I restart Vivaldi, but come back again after a few minutes. Here are some specs that I figure might be potentially relevant: CPU - AMD FX-8320 @3.5GHz GPU - GTX 1060 6GB RAM - 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Monitor - ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080 144Hz [img]http://http://i.imgur.com/BuIU2th.jpg[/img]

• Our systems aren't ALL that different, but I don't experience your problems. My processor is an AMD 8750 at a nominal 3.6 GHz, but actually running between 3.7 and 4 GHz for some reason (not overclocked). My graphics is onboard Radeon R7 with a single GB of dedicated memory, and with 8 3.5 GHz graphic cores integrated with the 4 cores of the CPU, which increases efficiency. I've a little less and slightly slower RAM, with 12 GB of PC3-12800

This is my biggest, fanciest, most hot-shot machine, with each of my 7 other machines on Windows 10, 7, and Linux also running Vivaldi without any screen artifacts.

So where we really differ is your GPU and your monitor. I've a Dell, same res as yours, but with refresh rate at 60Hz and of course I don't run a fancy discrete graphics card like the GTX on this box (though two of my other Win 10 do run discrete graphics of different brands). So in trying to solve the problem, the first places I would look would be compatibility with drivers for the GPU and the monitor. You might even have to turn off hardware acceleration for Vivaldi.

• @Wingflare @Ayespy

I'm having the exact same problem on completely different hardware. (Intel, NVIDIA, etc.) It's only a problem on Windows—I have Vivaldi installed on several machines—and it's only a problem in Vivaldi.

I've enclosed a cropped, enlarged section of a screenshot to illustrate. The screenshot is enlarged using only simple pixel multiplication; the artifacting seen is not a result of compression or of the enlargement. I saved the cropped segment to a PNG to ensure lossless-only compression.

As the screenshot shows, it's the entire browser window that looks like it's been badly compressed, including the UI.

This looks like something I might experience using some kind of remote desktop-sharing software, except that I don't have any installed. This is captured DIRECTLY on the machine running Vivaldi.

Note: 64-bit build on 64-bit Windows.
    0_1484448458431_vivaldi-artifacts.png

• @aloishammer

I haven't seen any artifact problems on my side after I changed my hardware. I upgraded absolutely everything except my GPU and got a second monitor (1600x900 60Hz), and the problem hasn't persisted. I can't understand what caused it in the first place.

Current specs are i7-6700K, GTX 1060 6GB, and 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM. This isn't much information to go by, but it at least tells me that my GPU and monitor weren't the issues, since keeping the same GPU and primary monitor has not resulted in the same problem.

• Do you have "change the size of text, apps, and other items" at 100%?

It's in settings -> system -> display

I happen to see blurry text in some windows on this laptop with that set to 125% (it is, of course, a buggy rendering glitch by Microsoft - there are ways to disable the Win10 DPI rendering and revert to older Win7/8 rendering which fixes it apparently).

Oddly enough, for me Vivaldi is the one application which seems to render perfectly in every scale - while it's mostly Microsoft stuff which screws up :rolling_eyes:

• @mossman , it was set to 100%, unless Vivaldi itself altered that setting itself.

I have actually uninstalled Vivaldi at this point. After a few weeks working with it, it's clear that it's nowhere near as stable or as feature-complete as either Opera or Chrome.

Both of those browsers impose irritating constraints that Vivaldi does not... but they do at least work without any issues like this. I may check back in for the 2.0 release, assuming that 2.0 includes full support for items like hiding, /unhiding/, and /reordering/ buttons in the extension bar, which it does not at present.

Even more importantly, Private Browsing mostly does not work, with many sites failing to load at all, and most extensions failing for some reason—crucial ones, such as uBlock Origin.

Incidentally, is there a roadmap somewhere? I haven't been able to find one. I'm not interested in using Vivaldi until more of the features I take for granted in other Blink browsers or in Firefox are present and working correctly.

This roadmap-related post is not encouraging, and it's the closest thing I've been able to find...

• @aloishammer - sorry to hear that you find it unstable... I've only had one issue after two years and several different installations on different machines (even USB-based at work) - and that seems to have been hardware overheating.

I believe the extensions buttons features you talk about are supposed to be in the next release (saw something about that the other day but I don't use extensions so I didn't pay much attention).

There is, famously, no roadmap. Just like old Opera, a feature will appear "When It's Ready" (WIR).

• @mossman said in Screen artifacting only in Vivaldi?:

@aloishammer - sorry to hear that you find it unstable... I've only had one issue after two years and several different installations on different machines (even USB-based at work) - and that seems to have been hardware overheating.

I'm counting failure to render pages as instability; Blink-based browsers have usually experienced a thread crash / process termination when attempting to load a page in a new tab results in a blank, unresponsive tab. I haven't bothered to check to be sure, but it's not a good thing, either way.

I believe the extensions buttons features you talk about are supposed to be in the next release (saw something about that the other day but I don't use extensions so I didn't pay much attention).

It's supposed to become possible to /unhide/ buttons, but not rearrange them, yes. The fact that it was ever possible to hide an extension button, but not reverse the situation... without deleting my entire Vivaldi profile directory... I take as a sign of extreme immaturity in a software project.

There is, famously, no roadmap. Just like old Opera, a feature will appear "When It's Ready" (WIR).

Yes, I was getting that impression. That's why I'm not certain whether I'll check back around 2.0, either.

Well, I appreciate the information. Best of luck with Vivaldi.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.