Need for a translated changelog for Vivaldi Stable

As i know over the years, while i was helping others in forums, not all users have teh ability to read and understand english texts full of technical terms. So they might use a bad Google Translate result or guess and try while using Vivaldi what might had changed. Not so nice for them. But what can be done? It is not so easy and time consuming to translate correctly and understandable. Translating Snapshot's changes may consume too much time. And the Stable/Finals have very long change lists, too. And we have not Hundreds of (paid) translators for that job to be done. Now i want to ask and discuss, what do you think about Changes in Vivaldi browser in your own language. And how that can be achieved. if you answer to the poll, it would be nice if you post why you answered and if you have any suggestions. And don't forget to say, which language you need. And tell us how you can help us. Thanks.

As my knowledge about technical terms in english is large enough to understand teh Chanegelog, i dont need such translation to German.

• Vivaldi Translator

Yup - it takes really much time to just translate browser / website and many of Translators unlike Sopranos do not work 24/7 ;)
    (so probably it means "we need more people to achieve this")

BTW - did You mean changelogs of all Snapshots or just stable versions?…

We can discuss the advantage of translating Snapshot changes, too. But as we sometimes had 2 or 3 Snapshots a week, translating the Snapshots changes wouldn't be very useful.

• The best place for this is in the Local Forums.

I see that there is a post for the changelog of Vivaldi 1.4 in the Portuguese forum, but it's in English. This would not be too hard for a Portuguese speaker, IMO, to translate to their mother tongue.

Snapshots are typically about once a week on average, so it's not a huge job, but it is something for volunteers to do, not Vivaldi staff or Sopranos, necessarily. Perhaps someone could post the same English changelog as a sticky in each local forum, and leave it to local users to make a translation.

• It is not a must, but it is a sign of respect. Just like everyone who wants to sell something in Europe has to present the documentation in national language. RL rules.

There aren't any browsers that do this at present, for a reason. No one can afford that much translation.

If anyone in a localized forum wishes to translate the changelog, I would say more power to them.

Changelogs are technical, they can be very long, and if I remember correctly, Vivaldi supports 55 languages. To shed some light on this - help put it in context - we have developers and sopranos backstage who are native speakers of at least twelve different languages. Our backstage discussion is held 100% in English, the only language we all share at least some proficiency in. There has been a discussion going on for over THREE WEEKS concerning the wording of a browser context menu addressing just one UI feature and function. The aim is to word it so that it is concise and meaningful in English, yet can easily be translated into languages other than English. And believe me, the action the menu is meant to describe is not IN THE LEAST complicated or complex.

Knowing this, my own personal opinion is, live human translation of changelogs belongs in the, "Wouldn't it be nice if…" category. Certainly it is a sign of respect - but if the translations of use and assembly instructions of Chinese products sold into English-speaking markets is any indication of what we could expect of such an undertaking, I shudder to think what it would do to Vivaldi's reputation in the end.

Again, just my own, personal, unofficial view.

• This is the result of the translation from English to Traditional Chinese and back again.

Know this, my personal opinion is that the change log on-site manual translation belongs to, "Would not it be nice if …" category. Of course, this is a respect for the performance - but if the Chinese products sold in the UK market and the use of assembly language instructions, we can expect such signs of commitment, I dare not think this will do Vivaldi in the end.

I rest my case.

• @serra.avatar:

It is not a must, but it is a sign of respect. Just like everyone who wants to sell something in Europe has to present the documentation in national language. RL rules.

Yes and no.

The documentation in national language is important, because say an hair dryer can be a very dangerous thing if improperly used, hence it isn't a sign of respect, firtly it's a security measure, then is not said that an old lady from Spain or Greece must be learn the English just to do some laundry… The funny manual must be easily understandable, no matter the school level, the age, the location and so on.

Here is different, the changelog couldn't be published at all and no one would be hurt by that.

Also English is the de facto standard language of the web, just like the Italian was the language used on the Operas, before the lingua franca was the French, in the ancient times wad the Latin and so on, maybe tomorrow that role will be taken by the Mandarin Chinese or whatever else.

Each era has a country and a language that stands above the others, for political, economical or cultural reasons, so using English in the more technical areas is just natural, and it isn't a lack of respect it is just a sort of mandatory choice.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.