Vivaldi abusing the disk

• Top Sites-journal is again abusing my sdd. Reported months ago but still returning problem. Can't you make proper SpeedDial? Just save miniatures as jpeg on the disk and load them to RAM after browser starts. I wrote my own SpedDial (well, page in html) where I can put miniatures wherever I want and it's 100 times better than the current one. But I can't get rid of the original SpeedDial despite the fact it's just an extension.

• @hondac:

But I can't get rid of the original SpeedDial despite the fact it's just an extension.

The speed dial is just a designated Bookmark Folder.

Open the Bookmarks Panel, right-click on the Speed Dial folder, and remove it from Speed Dial.

Your new page tab will now show just History and Bookmarks.

[attachment=4620]BlankSpeedDial.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• @hondac:

Top Sites-journal is again abusing my sdd. Reported months ago but still returning problem..

Has some Vivaldian ever commented officially on this issue? I remember this has been a complaint many times on the blogs, but I can't remember a convincing answer on

• why this tremendous write activities are required / what they are good for anyway
    • when this will become a setting controlled by the average user

It remains a mystery to me.

someone

• I've solved this problem by changing the file permission for both "Top Sites" and "Top Sites-journal" file to read-only. Close Vivaldi browser first before changing the file permission.

• @someone:

@hondac:

Top Sites-journal is again abusing my sdd. Reported months ago but still returning problem..

Has some Vivaldian ever commented officially on this issue? I remember this has been a complaint many times on the blogs, but I can't remember a convincing answer on

• why this tremendous write activities are required / what they are good for anyway
    • when this will become a setting controlled by the average user
      It remains a mystery to me.
      someone

I think its related to a similar issue in Chromium so all Chromium based browsers including Chrome might have the same problem. See this thread. I'm on 1.4 stable and although the disk writes continuously the rate is very low <1MB/s.

The workaround is to regularly delete the top sites* files before it hits 40Mb or change the permissions to read-only as suggested above. The speed dial/startpage link will be gone if you do that but its acceptable in my case.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.