[Solved] Maui Linux Software Sources for Vivaldi.

• [color=#440088]Recently i replaced my Tower's OS Mint 17.3 KDE4 with Maui Aurora Plasma5. In Mint KDE, my initial installation of V [SS & Stable] back in 2015, successfully placed entries into Mint's [i]Update Manager's Software Sources' Additional Repositories[/i] tab. Thereafter Mint reliably automatically updated V for me anytime the V Devs released new versions. However, with Maui so far, installing V does NOT add any V entries into Maui's [i]Update Manager's Software Sources' Other Software[/i] tab, so it won't receive future auto updates. Is this likely to be V's "fault", or Maui's [ie, which Devs should i petition to fix this]? ............................................................................................................................................................................. Tower's SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2. [< 26/9/16]; Maui Linux Aurora Plasma 5.7.5 [> 26/9/16]. Lappy's SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2. [< 18/9/16]; Linux Mint x64 18 Xfce+Compiz [> 18/9/16][/color]

• The general principle is that various graphical update managers or package managers are merely front-ends for apt, i.e. the package management system for .deb packages. (The .rpm distributions have a different but similar system.) Vivaldi packages don't know about your front-end or whether you're just using apt-get from the command line, for example.

Package sources (repositories) are written to /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/.

There are bugs in Ubuntu, the most popular Linux distro. You are going to run into a lot of bugs when you're using a less-known distro that has a handful of developers.

• Thanks. Based on your info, & a parallel reply i received in the Maui forum, i seem to have worked around the problem satisfactorily now. Maui's /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ was missing both these files [why???]; vivaldi.list & vivaldi-snapshot.list . I found an instance of each file* in the same path in one of my Mint 17.3 KDE VMs. After copying said files to the same path destination in Maui, & refreshing Maui's Update Manager cache, it now "sees" both Vivaldi's, & will i think now offer me future updates. Nice.

…..........................................................................................................................................................................
    Tower's SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2. [< 26/9/16]; Maui Linux Aurora Plasma 5.7.5 [> 26/9/16].
    Lappy's SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2. [< 18/9/16]; Linux Mint x64 18 Xfce+Compiz [> 18/9/16]

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.