how to disable "switch to the new tab immediately" when click "open new tab"

• please help me, as what i wrote in the title above, sorry if this kind of question is already answered before cause i'm a newbie here

@yandhika25:

please help me, as what i wrote in the title above, sorry if this kind of question is already answered before cause i'm a newbie here

If you like, you can search the forums to see if a question has been answered. And, yes, this has been asked and answered 136 times. :)

#137: You can't disable it. What you can do is use one of the four (count 'em, four) different methods to open a new tab in the background. 1) Right-click and select "Open in Background Tab" from the context menu. 2) Middle-click. 3) Ctrl+click (Cmd+click if you're on Mac). 4) Use a mouse gesture (you can make your own custom gesture for it).

• @yandhika25:

I'm a newbie here

There are two search buttons at the top of the forum. The Search Button next to the Forum Rules Link is the best one to use.

This forum lets you edit your posts at any time to fix broken links, typos, etc.

• @Ayespy I appreciate your cynicism toward those of us who want to do things the way the majority of people do, but "four (count 'em, four) different methods to open a new tab in the background" doesn't help much. Anyone doing any kind of non-turtle-paced research (anyone other than newbs to the internet) learns quickly that the best way to find the best answer to something on the internet is to:

1. search for it.
    2. review MANY different results as quickly as possible.
    3. narrow down results to the most usable.

For step 2 it's critical to be able to open may results very quickly and THEN navigate to them. The idea that anyone would magically choose the perfect answer on the first try, is naive, at best. The idea that if we don't magically choose the best result on try number one that it must be a problem with our methods would be wildly ignorant (I'm not suggesting that is what you did, but the software, by bullying our choice, is suggesting it.)

So while I appreciate that the small amount of users familiar with Opera/ etc. may like the forced, instant open of the very first thing chosen, hardly does that suggest its the 'best' way. Often it's just that sort of thinking that thwarts great innovation, right? You know this. In any UX priority list there are battles between what longtime users are "used to" and what native and intuitive experience suggests as the best way. If you look at Microsoft's "Ribbon" change back in like 2007, which MANY people, including myself, HATED when first introduced, you learn quickly that it's only 'not-better' for those already used to doing things a poorer way.

And when you're speaking to people who know better, it's probably not good to suggest that something that would take about 2 hours to add a checkbox for, is something that might take months or more to get to. (referencing another reply to this request, and I have no idea if it was you or even someone from the devops team, so it's just a mention.)

I am new to Vivaldi and am really happy with it and I've recommended it to many and will continue to... And personally, I'll get used to the workaround, but I've seen this (your?) quote "four (count 'em, four)" on more than one very reasonable request for a fix to this slightly bullying setting... And it's concerning that someone potentially with a handle on its improvements might be stuck in 'old ways' over 'better ways.'

Cheers.

• @chrispurser said in [ASK] how to disable "switch to the new tab immediately" when click "open new tab":

For step 2 it's critical to be able to open may results very quickly and THEN navigate to them.

I am not sure why you think that opening a link in a background tab does not achieve what you want.

@chrispurser: I'm sure an option to do it your way will be available at some point. The developers have other priorities right now.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.