The Vivaldi Logo

• I love the browser so far and I've been using it for a week. I have a problem with the logo/icon design, it just doesn't seem to look like a browser logo and I can't exactly tell why :( I guess you're trying to be different from other logos, I think it just needs to be round and not look like a social media logo

• IMHO, I feel the Vivaldi logo to be unique and perfect. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "look like a browser logo"?
    I didn't know that browser logos had to look a certain way.

Do you think a browser logo design has to swim with the mainstream and be as round as IE, Firefox or Chrome? Or like the ugly O-type from Opera?

Vivaldi is different. And that should be visible in its logo design.

• I not disagree with you, but which one of the following looks like a browser logo?

Just FF, and maybe Safari.

• Yup… Logo... the most iportant UX element of internet browser...

Gwen, Solutor - respect for patience and continuation of thread :P

• @ROTFL:

Yup… Logo... the most iportant UX element of internet browser...

The branding has its importance, at least when you have to decide if you want to test something, for the first time.

Say we had the military canned meat which was natural, so it has brown/gray color (and it was a delight) but no one would buy it in a store, even if everyone knows that the boiled meat has that color.

The commercially available canned meat is always red, and people will buy it no matter if it's worse (or dangerous for the healt).

That's applicable more or less everywhere. A Black and Golden/Coppery battery feels stronger than a silvery/white one, a green toothpaste feels more refreshing than a white one and so on.

There are subtle psychological mechanisms that may ruin a good product if the branding is wrong (and viceversa).

• A logo is important, but more the product that represents. Talk about a logo ugly is meaningless, the logo of Vivaldi is not uglier than the in Opera

• thank you, it looks a lot better now

• I think the new logo is much better than the old one.

• They hire GUI designers to make these decisions. It is unlikely to be changed based on users' opinions.

• @Pesala
    Well, even GUI designers can be wrong sometimes. I am not saying they are wrong now, but there were examples in history.

• @Nekomajin said in The Vivaldi Logo:

Well, even GUI designers can be wrong sometimes

When it comes to design issues, there is rarely any such thing as right or wrong. It's just views and opinions. Certainly, that is so in this case. Square, Circle, or Squircle — it's just changing fashions.

If colours or font size cause legibility issues with a GUI, or elements are not positioned ergonomically, then that is something worth discussing. The logo design is as it is. Whether you like it or dislike it, it's not likely to be changed.

• The old logo and icon was much better. The new one sucks IMO.
    Someone from deisgn please look into it. If possible user feedback should be taken in voting. I never knew about the previous polls/voting so please try to inform all users for such polls.

• @The_Solutor said in The Vivaldi Logo:

I not disagree with you, but which one of the following looks like a browser logo?

Just FF, and maybe Safari.

The squircle was introduced much later, how is the new Vivaldi logo in an 11 month old post?

edit: nvm, I'm dumb

• @The_Solutor said in The Vivaldi Logo:

which one of the following looks like a browser logo?

This is a total non sequitur. Who decides what a browser logo should look like?

@Pesala said in The Vivaldi Logo:

Who decides what a browser logo should look like?

And the real answer is: Vivaldi Technologies.

May be for some users there is is not enough participation and influence on Vivaldi's building process.
    But they are free to have their dislikes about the logo.

• @Pesala said in The Vivaldi Logo:

Who decides what a browser logo should look like?

Well, given that most operating systems have a way to change the icon for your web browser launcher/shortcut: The end user decides. Be that either by leaving the default or setting your own if it bothers you that much.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.