Why does vivaldi recommends 32 bit on windows ?

• I have a 64 bit system, but Vivaldi download page recommends 32bit for windows, what is the reason for it ? I believe it should recommend the 64 version, as with 64bit vivaldi can access more Ram [img]https://s16.postimg.org/y5nhh9av9/Unbenannt.png[/img] Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/86119/Unbenannt.PNG[/img]

• Discussed many times. In short there isn't any sure advantage going 64, except for heavy number crunching apps (compression tools, audio/video converters, large simulation) and apps that needs to access more than 2/3GB of ram.

Basically Vivaldi doesn't belong to any of such categories (remember it's a multi-process program).

On the other hand 64bit programs on windows usually need to access larger resources, which usually means more ram usage, and larger files to transfer, less available plugins, and more possible compatibility problems.

That said the 64 bit version is available because sooner or later the 64 bit version will make more sense, or will be forced by others (the 32bit subsystem is already optional on latest Windows server)

The 32 bit version is also more tested and more mature, but this is slowly changing: when V was released it was 32bit only, then 64bit was made available as "experimental", now the 32bit is marked just as suggested, tomorrow…

• i have an aversion to the win64bit because windows media codecs concern me in browsers. wouldn't only one version cut down on required resources for development? also, why do other operating systems have different recommendations?

• @monkey_wrench_gang898:

i have an aversion to the win64bit because windows media codecs concern me in browsers.

The stock Win x64 codecs (the one Vivaldi uses) are very likely the same as x32, just recompiled w/o that much optimizzation.

That may be different on third party codecs/decoders especially if coming from the linux world, like FFmpeg.

That said , the decode part is a pretty light part on a modern machine, any difference would be absolutely unnoticeable. Encoding is another matter it's still an relatively heavy task even if the the days of 8hrs to transcode a 2hrs movie are long gone.

also, why do other operating systems have different recommendations?

Linux is very different from Windows, you can realize that, empirically, looking at the ISO size. Usually linux32 and x64 flavors are almost the same size, while in windows the x64 flavor is something like 1.6x larger. Also many x64 linux distro lacks completely any x32 support (unless you download explicitly the lib32).

In short linux support is way more mature, given 99.9% of the sw was recompiled starting from a decade ago. This was/is not possible in Windows where most of the third party SW is proprietary, some of it comes from dead companies and will never surface in x64 form.

• immaturity is bothersome. i try to avoid it.
    Attachments:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.