Vivaldi sometimes crashes Mac running OSX 10.10.5 when clicking on or switching a tab.

• I'm running OSX 10.10.5 (Yosemity) and Vivaldi 1.4.589.11 (Stable channel) (64-bit) crashes my system occasionally. I know that there is some nvram flags to be set so that I could see the reason it crashed without the PC restarting itself immediately but at this time I haven't activated it so unfortunately I can't provide more details on the issue. I'll edit the post should it happen again.

• i've been having this same problem in OSX 10.11.6 using current stable builds of vivaldi, on a mid-2010 macbook pro 15" i5.

@spinach Did your system ever have any non-Apple USB devices installed (e.g. a mouse, graphics tablet, or video capture device) that required you to install device drivers on your system?

The reason I ask is that Vivaldi doesn't hook itself into the operating system in any way. While the Vivaldi application itself may crash, it should never take the operating system down with it. Vivaldi does poll USB devices on your system (for WebUSB support and WebRTC) and that could trigger a crash in a buggy device driver.

The other likely culprit is a hardware-related issue such as a faulty memory module or graphics processor.

Did you happen to have a look at the crash log in Console.app?

• @xyzzy @spinach
    I solved the problem for my system.
    See this post: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/11518/vivaldi-crashing-with-kernel-panic-on-10-10-5 for a Console.app dump, showing that the culprit has been a driver, the call to which originated from Vivaldi to IOKit (I think)

Updating those drivers
    namely these two
    com.realtek.driver.AppleRTL815XComposite 1.0.16
    com.realtek.driver.AppleRTL815XEthernet 1.0.16
    to the version stated solved the instability problem.

Oh and btw. I since have updated to Sierra (macOS 10.12.2)

P.S.:
    For future reference. compiling a list of non-apple kexts with version-numbers can be accomplished with
    kextfind -not -b -is com.apple -report -b -version
    a warning tho there are a few kexts not named com.apple but belonging to macOS anyway. As rule of thumb I'd recommend not touching anything under /System

@Ozymandias42 Thanks very much for the update. I'm really glad to hear that you were able to rectify the kernel panics on your system.

Could I ask a favour of you? Could you please re-post a copy of your last comment in your other thread for completeness? We can then close it with a resolved tag. I'm sure that others will also find that topic/thread to be a helpful source of information in the future.

Thanks again!

• @xyzzy sure. can and will do.

• I set this thread to resolved.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.