Default start page

• Am I the only one who finds the default page you get when you sign in as worse than useless? I can think of few more off-putting things than a single central column of unformatted text flanked by mostly empty space. Getting big globs of unsolicited content thrown in the face like that does not belong on a professional website. I could like a nicely formatted page where the [i]headings[/i] for the different types of new content is presented in a sidebar, and it would be [i]very[/i] nice if it would remember what I prefer to look at first (i.e. forums, pictures, blogs or whatnot) instead of a page I would never visit of my own free will.

• :(

• Well, let's see … if I am interpreting things correctly, you're an Administrator, which means you work for Vivaldi. That means you might have some clout to get it fixed.

• Jon stated the following: "As you can see, it’s still very much a work in progress. Things have happened very quickly and we have tried to be quick as well. We wanted to share this with you as soon as possible and let you all know that there will still be a place for us."

I would think that as an admin you would understand better than the rest of us that this entire community is still very much in flux and no doubt many changes (i.e. default start page) will be changed as they have time to do so.

• bv knows that it's being worked on. Sometimes we all get frustrated with user interfaces and just like to say it out loud. :P
    Besides, maybe this thread will turn out to be productive and everone else will chime in about what they do and don't like about the main/start page. :)

• @bv:

Am I the only one who finds the default page you get when you sign in as worse than useless?

That's why I navigate to the area I want to be and then sign in via the L/P fields in the right side bar. The other ways to sign in seem pretty superfluous to me …

• @Suntana:

Well, let's see … if I am interpreting things correctly, you're an Administrator, which means you work for Vivaldi. That means you might have some clout to get it fixed.

I do not work for Vivaldi in the sense of being hired and paid. The reason I was made administrator is that I have worked with some of those people in Opera. My specialty is to find faults and bugs - for over 45 years I have always managed to find weak spots in ANY software I tried.

There will always be more things to fix than time to fix it. To find the right priorities, it is important to get active participation from actual users. It would be useful to know why more people do not sign up, but they do not tell why. Second best is to get comments from those who actually use the site. Not just what they like, it is every bit as important to know what they do not like. No product was ever improved by people politely refraining from saying what they do not like about it.

• Ahhh, I stand corrected then, bv. So you don't work for Vivaldi then.

As to why so many are deleting their accounts?
    I can only speculate. I think probably most of those closing their accounts were expecting a finished product when they signed up. When they quickly see staring them in the face a buffet of this, that and the other not working … they quickly decide to get off the Vivaldi freeway at the next exit.

Let's just say I witnessed that very feeling in the forums of a certain App's latest finished product. There were a lot of allegedly dissatisfied users wanting their money back and wanting to tar & feather the Powers That Be because "we didn't volunteer to be Beta Testers."

• @bv:

It would be useful to know why so many are deleting their accounts, but they do not tell why. Second best is to get comments from those who stay. Not just what they like, it is every bit as important to know what they do not like. No product was ever improved by people politely refraining from saying what they do not like about it.

Are you saying that some members are already deleting their accounts? The community is only a month old and already some are bailing out? That's incredible. I can understand that some might find this new community a bit slow and rough around the edges BUT it's free, it's complete AND it's a work in progress. Don't people have any patience anymore? I'm astounded!

• Sure there are things that I'd like to see as well including a better start page (one of my own making) along with the following:

• have sections for English, Russian, Spanish, etc blogs rather than mixing them altogether. It's tiresome to have to plow through dozens of non-English blogs hunting for those that might pertain to me and I can imagine those who do not speak English might feel the same. MyOpera had forums and blogs separated… actually... I'm not sure how they handled blogs, I'll have to go back and check that out.

• speed up the page loading and reloading. It's painfully slow.

• have an easier way to see what is current within each forum discussion.

• @bv:

Second best is to get comments from those who stay. Not just what they like, it is every bit as important to know what they do not like. No product was ever improved by people politely refraining from saying what they do not like about it.

Well, if that's really what the official Vivaldi employees / Devs want and don't mind getting, I'm sure we can accommodate that.

• One more minor thing to add to a wish-list. I'd like to be able to place some members on Ignore. Is there a workable way to do this now or is it still in the works?

• I don't think it matters at all. I didn't even know what you were talking about until I went to https://vivaldi.net/ because my speed dial is linked to https://vivaldi.net/forum/index

Other users are quite capable of bookmarking the link that they find the most useful.

• @Pesala:

Other users are quite capable of bookmarking the link that they find the most useful.

Ha! Such a simple thing to do and yet it never crossed my mind. :)

• The thing is, while of course we can bookmark whatever page of our choice with which to sign in into Vivaldi … if there IS an amateurish-looking page out there that is highly likely to be potential NEW Vivaldi members' 1st impression of Vivaldi, they're almost assuredly to keep on walking by.

• Oh I don't know. I wouldn't be too concerned about potential members giving a pass to Vivaldi because it isn't as polished at MyOpera was. I'm sure it will grow in time and besides, there is something to be said for a relatively small and intimate group making a solid foundation which in itself will bring in others. I don't think we need to worry about this and that being exactly perfect. Vivaldi will become what Jon and his developers have envisioned and what we bring to it but I'm sure it will take time. AND … it's free. We're not paying a cent for this place so I don't think we should be too critical at this juncture. In fact what it might have across its banner is: Still Under Construction; Your Patience is Appreciated. ;)

• @James:

We're not paying a cent for this place so I don't think we should be too critical at this juncture.

I think now is exactly the time to be critical - finding bugs, saying what is good and what is not so good, because at the moment it is still easy to change things (may be not on the technical side, but on the impact on the users). Now most people who stick around now understand that changes can and will happen, this will become difficult over time when there are many more.

• Are you saying that some members are already deleting their accounts? The community is only a month old and already some are bailing out? That's incredible. I can understand that some might find this new community a bit slow and rough around the edges BUT it's free, it's complete AND it's a work in progress. Don't people have any patience anymore? I'm astounded!

It was more a general comment about what I want to monitor on any site, here specifically it is more the question of why not more people sign up. But in the long run, this is the kind of thing any site administrator needs to keep tracking. It is an important mechanism for actual quality control. And it is a metric one needs to collect from the very beginning.

• @bv:

It was more a general comment about what I want to monitor on any site, here specifically it is more the question of why not more people sign up.

Ah… well that's quite a bit different than people actually having accounts and then deleting them for one reason or another. Why people don't sign up is relatively impossible to determine; it's entirely a guess. Perhaps some still believe that MyOpera will be saved at the last moment and have no intentions of moving just yet. After all... there are still close to two months before it is dismantled. It may be that some have simply not found it yet. It may be that some have migrated elsewhere (i.e. Wordpress) rather than here. But the bottom line is, without actual feedback from people who do not sign up, there's no way to determine what that reason might be short of guessing.

• Vivaldi Team

@James:

• have sections for English, Russian, Spanish, etc blogs rather than mixing them altogether. It's tiresome to have to plow through dozens of non-English blogs hunting for those that might pertain to me and I can imagine those who do not speak English might feel the same. MyOpera had forums and blogs separated… actually... I'm not sure how they handled blogs, I'll have to go back and check that out.

Yes, this is something I've been thinking about as well.
    We have to find better way to find content each user is looking for to interact with.

• speed up the page loading and reloading. It's painfully slow.

Yes….

• have an easier way to see what is current within each forum discussion.

Can you explain a bit more about what you mean by that? Do you mean easier way to jump straight to the latest post?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.