Vivaldi starts slowly

• Although Vivaldi uses the same kernel with Chrome, but it starts much more slower than other Chromunim kernel browsers. :sick: :sick: :sick:

Not here. What sort of system do you run?

• Windows 7 ultimate 64bit :)

• Startup time here is about 10 seconds for a cold start and 5 seconds to restart.

How many tabs do you have open and what startup option do you use? What is your Antivirus program? I use Windows Defender.

Specs AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 7 64-bit

• I have the same issue.
    Fresh start time: approx. 30 sec. / Restart: 26 sec.
    1 Tab open
    Windows 10, 4GB, 1.4GHz CPU
    Windows Defender

• I ran my own test. Switching between multiple tabs is instantaneous.

Results: Start-up Cold 20 sec. Restart ~8 sec.

My set-up:
    Win10x64 (12 GB RAM)
    Comodo Firewall w\D+ (HIPS)
    Avast Free
    MBAM Premium
    MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit Premium

My Vivaldi starts in 2.5 sec!
    8 GB RAM | Windows 10x64 | Kaspersky AV 2017

• Thanks for your infos.
    It would be interesting to hear from developers what the reason is for these highly different startup times.

Usually, it's resources or security software. Several kinds of security software insist on scanning Vivaldi while it tries to open. They don't do that to other (known to the security vendor) browsers.

Otherwise, scant RAM or slow processors also have an effect. Here, all of my browsers open in 4 seconds except for Vivaldi, which opens in five. Vivaldi has to open one additional layer, the UI, which other browsers don't, but this is a cost of opting for a really fast and highly flexible development scheme which all other browsers lack, but which exacts a slight performance penalty.

There are also dozens of other possible reasons related to system configuration, which Vivaldi developers cannot test, because they don't have access to all users' computers. I kind of have to assume Pesala has a little bit older system than the developers and testers (such as myself) do, because I don't know anyone in development or testing who has to wait ten seconds to get Vivaldi open.

In your case, we don't know what your resources are. We also don't know what a "long time" is to you.

I have an old rig sitting on top of another disused computer behind me at my desk here, which if I recall correctly, I recovered from an archaeological dig. It's got a single-core P4 running at 3.0 GHz and 2GB of PC2 RAM (the max the board can hold), commensurately slow bus speeds, running Windows 7. It takes up to 16 seconds to start Vivaldi the first time after system start, and five seconds every start after that. On cold start, it always starts with the tab fully loaded. On subsequent starts, it takes an additional second to load the first tab. Other browsers on that same machine take from four to eight seconds on cold start, and 3 or four on subsequent starts, but ALWAYS take an additional two to three seconds to load the first tab. So from button-push to webview, Vivaldi matches them on all but the first cold start. It it's taking longer for you, it would be impossible to say why, without studying your actual machine.

• @Ayespy:

I kind of have to assume Pesala has a little bit older system than the developers and testers (such as myself) do, because I don't know anyone in development or testing who has to wait ten seconds to get Vivaldi open.

It is just three years old. Maybe the lack of a dedicated graphics card is a factor? As you know, I don't load lots of tabs, often only one or two. I also use 125% Windows scaling on Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

Reopening with a tab-stack of 7 related tabs in addition to this tab, makes no discernible difference.

At the bottom of this page it says: "Time to create page: 0.451 seconds"

Interesting. I fired up my 9 y/o Core2 Duo (1.667 GHx per core) with its 3GB of RAM (system max), and it seems to take 11 sec. to open Vivaldi hot or cold. Takes 8 sec to open other browsers. I'm pretty sure 11 sec will mean the end of my browsing life. Incidentally, it built this page in .551 sec.

• Very slow for me too, 8+ sec. Chrome opens in 1-2 secs (but takes some time to load all 60+ tabs).
    Both are installed on a Samsung SSD 830. I've added Vivaldi folder to exception list in 360 Total Security, also disabled it completely, no difference in speed.
    Opening a new Chrome window is instantaneous whereas Vivaldi takes 1-2 secs.

Also noticed that it slows down a lot when browsing a page with many gifs (a bit unrelated maybe, I know it's not optimized yet).

Despite this, Vivaldi is my main browser. :)

Windows 10 Pro x64 AU // Intel Core i5 3570K // 16 GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 // Vivaldi 1.4.589.11 x64

• Slowest Blink based browser to load from cold start, but in my experience, fastest to render pages.

• I compare the startup procedure of Vivaldi with Chrome. I find that the UI of Chrome is gradually displayed. The frame of the Chrome window firstly appears and then the elements such as Search bar and Bookmarks bar begin to load. But for Vivaldi, the UI will not be displayed until all the elements finish loading so that we can not see the loading procedure, although it is so fast in Chrome.

I also find an interesting phenomenon . The UI of Chrome appears earlier than the processes of Chrome appear the task manager. In contract , the processes of Vivaldi appear in the task manager first. So I doubt that Chrome may take measure to accelerate the speed of startup.

The detail of the startup procedure in my computer as follows. Three processes appear in the task manager first and the memory usage of each process is low. Several seconds later, the fourth process appears and the memory usage of three processes begin to increase.Several more seconds later,the UI finally appears.

My set-up
    Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
    16G RAM DDR3
    ESET Security 9.0

• @ayespy:
    What do you meen with "built in .551 sec."?
    my complete page load time for the Vivaldi forum is approx. 6.5 sec.

• @Gwen-Dragon:

My Vivaldi starts in 2.5 sec!
    8 GB RAM | Windows 10x64 | Kaspersky AV 2017

Was this a cold start or do you have Vivaldi running in the background?

• @reiner1302:

@ayespy:
    What do you meen with "built in .551 sec."?
    my complete page load time for the Vivaldi forum is approx. 6.5 sec.

He means that the page loaded/rendered in .551 seconds.
    This page loaded in ,403 seconds. My internet speed is 100 MBps.

• This means that my complete page load time is approx. 15 times slower?
    My internet speed is 50MBps.
    I have a single core CPU running with 1.4GHz and 4GB RAM. Windows 10 / 32 bit.
    But all of this can not decrease the page load time by this factor. Or????

• @reiner1302:

This means that my complete page load time is approx. 15 times slower?
    My internet speed is 50MBps.
    I have a single core CPU running with 1.4GHz and 4GB RAM. Windows 10 / 32 bit.
    But all of this can not decrease the page load time by this factor. Or????

reiner1302 :
    When you read this, scroll down to the foot of the page.

You should see some info such as

[attachment=4492]PageLoad.PNG[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• Thx for your explanation. My time was .354.
    But I thought we are talking about COMPLETE page load time.
    I have installed an extension called Page load time
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-load-time/fploionmjgeclbkemipmkogoaohcdbig?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog
    When installed you can see the overall page load time and for the forum page this time is approx. 6 - 8 sec.
    When you have time, could you install the extension and post your time?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.