Vivaldi will not open… again

• Please bear with me, as I am not a "power user." I have been using Vivaldi (1.3 something-- I updated it a couple of days ago) for around two months and I [i]really want to keep using it[/i]; it does most things I really need it to do. However, for the third time, I am unable to open it. This seems to happen every two weeks or so-- in between, it works fine. The first time, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. The second time, after trying various other things suggested, I renamed the default file, as directed in one of the threads. I also quit using the Speed Dials (a pain), and tried to clear the cache every couple of days, just in case that made a difference. But again, this morning: WON'T OPEN. Can anyone tell me what's going on? I really don't want to give up on it-- I more or less love it otherwise. I'm using Windows 7.

• Just to be clear, when Vivaldi is refusing to open, have you checked whether one of Vivaldi's previous session processes is still running (that is, did not get closed the last time used)? Use Windows' built-in Task Manager to look for any process named "Vivaldi" still running, and use Task Manager to force it closed. In that situation, Vivaldi should then be able to start after the old running process is shut off. There are a number of things - especially extensions and plug-ins - that can cause its related Vivaldi process to hang upon closing, and that will block a restart.

• Thank-you– yes, I have done that again and again, in the Task Manager. The refusal to open usually happens right after I've started the computer, when nothing is running. When I try to start it, it gives its little graphic circle, then stops. In the task manager it THEN shows several Vivaldi processes (which seems to be normal for Vivaldi) but killing them does not help. Once it starts refusing to open, it just persists.

It acts as though you are using a script blocker. Script blockers will prevent the Vivaldi UI (which is mostly script) from running. If not, please list all of your extensions.

Also say what security software, of any and every kind, runs on your machine.

• No script blockers, no extensions. Norton and Spybot. In between episodes, it usually works pretty well.

Have you whitelisted Vivaldi?

• Are your AV's set to perform scans upon computer start-up? If so, how long do they take to complete (ie: are they still scanning when you try to open Vivaldi and are getting failures)?

• @Ayespy:

Have you whitelisted Vivaldi?

With the anti-virus? I have no idea how that applies to software, so, no. Again, in between these episodes, it seems to work fine, and I use it constantly.

@Blackbird:

Are your AV's set to perform scans upon computer start-up?

I have checked that, because I know it can contribute to slowness, but that's something that usually resolves itself after awhile, isn't it? Norton is set to have quite a long lag after start-up before it starts scanning, and Spybot doesn't scan spontaneously at all, as far as I know. I admit, I find Norton a little difficult to interact with.

To "whitelist" a piece of software means to go into your AV's firewall or "execution prevention" function, have it give you a list of all of the .exe files on the computer that it monitors or interacts with - which should be every .exe file on your computer, basically, and tell it to either ignore or to permit specific files to run. You can even exclude any .exe file from being scanned.

If Norton is scanning a file at the time you try to open that file, it can actually prevent the file from opening as long as the scan is occurring. Norton is rather famous for gumming up the works. Once it decides a file is not trustworthy, you may never be able to run that file again, EVEN IF YOU UNINSTALL NORTON, unless you use the special tools provided by Symantec to completely remove all traces of Norton from the machine. Why? Norton will actually set flags in the registry blocking certain software, and will not remove these flags as it is being uninstalled. This is completely aside from the fact that Norton does tend to get its fingers into every single operation your machine performs, monitor them, slow them, poke its nose into files other software is trying to use, etc.

So either use Norton's Help file to learn how to whitelist an app, or Google it. The information is out there.

• I have looked around quite a bit and still have not found a way to personally whitelist an application in this version of NIS, but I will keep trying. However, the insight page gives me this:

[attachment=4371]vivaldirating.JPG[/attachment]

so…? It doesn't seem like Norton has a problem with it up front?

Also, may I ask another question that might be related here: The last time this happened I followed the procedure described here

https://vivaldi.net/forum/all/14141-refreshing-or-cleaning-your-profile#71738

which worked instantly and things have been fine for a couple of weeks. Today I decided I'd better delete the old folder, in case that had anything to do with my current problem, but it would not delete.

[attachment=4372]bernicewillnotdie.JPG[/attachment]

That folder had two cache folders at the top: old_cache_000 and old_cache_001. I ended up deleting the contents file by file, and they all went, except old_cache_000, which will not open and will not delete. I have tried renaming it, tried deleting it in safe mode– nothing. Any chance that is part of the problem, or something similar in the current files that has recurred?
    Attachments:

• Please check your harddrive with CHKDSK.

• @mottenmouse:

Please check your harddrive with CHKDSK.

Yes, this!

This problem has been seen with a corrupted sector on an SSD.

• @mottenmouse:

Please check your harddrive with CHKDSK.

Thank-you– yes! I was trying to do that yesterday, but ran the wrong thing.

After running it, the bad folder and contents are now gone. But Vivaldi still will not open.

• @Ayespy:

This problem has been seen with a corrupted sector on an SSD.

The not-opening problem, you mean? I'm pretty sure I don't have an SSD.

I appreciate your attention, and the reason I started a thread here is that this is the third time this has happened, and it seems to happen at fairly regular intervals. I could redo the profile again, which worked immediately last time, but it's a pain in the neck: OK for once, but I don't want to be doing it every two weeks! Is there anything else I can clear? I read about deleting Last and Current session files, but I wasn't really sure about the process– just delete? Since I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm hesitant to do anything that might cause worse problems, unless I understand what I'm trying.. Is there anything from a website that might be stored and affecting something? or something that's just gotten too large?

No, the failed file access. Corrupt sectors can exist on any drive. It's just that the last person who had an issue similar to yours finally solved it once and for all by blocking out the bad sector(s) on his SSD which were interfering with access to his profile folder. All was well once he was using a healthy area on his drive.

• I have the same problem. When I open Vivaldi, some processes will be started and sometimes after like around a minute, the browser starts. Half of the time though I have to force close all Vivaldi processes and try again. I disabled all extensions (didn't use many anyway) and the problem persists.

• @rebec:

… but it's a pain in the neck: ...

Due to the descriped problems (unable to open Vivaldi in short sequences and files which could't be deleted) it is very difficult to help and give assistance. I assume you have a corrupted file and/or a corrupted harddisk.

My recommendation:

If you are now able to run your current Vivaldi version:

• Export your bookmarks

• Save or export the settings of your extensions

• Close Vivaldi and never use this installation again
      If you are not able to run your current Vivaldi version:

• Check the Windows Event Viewer and run eventually CHKSDK again. I hope you can trust your harddisk.

• Complete fresh Vivaldi installation (staple 1.3) as standalone with a foldername you never used before. No update.

• Don't copy any file to your new installation, it might be corrupted !

• Rename the foldername of your old crashed Vivaldi installation (e.g. oldname + crashed)

• ….

Windows 7 Pro (x64) - Vivaldi 1.4.589.2 (Developer Build) (x32)

• I just deleted the Top Sites file.

VIVALDI OPENED RIGHT UP.

Just to recap my problem:

After a couple of weeks of constant, and fairly smooth usage, Vivaldi does not open. If I try to open it (from anywhere) four or five Vivaldi processes appear in the task manager, but it never appears on the screen, or in the application list in the task manager either. Eventually I kill them, or, if I wait several minutes, they die on their own.

Bernice and her evil contents are gone, deletable after the CHKDSK run, but they did not appear to be the cause of the not-opening problem.

Thank-you, mottenmouse for urging me to run that and for the information above, and thank-you Ayespy and Blackbird for all the information as well.

• @mottenmouse:

@rebec:

… but it's a pain in the neck: ...

Due to the descriped problems (unable to open Vivaldi in short sequences and files which could't be deleted) it is very difficult to help and give assistance. I assume you have a corrupted file and/or a corrupted harddisk.

My recommendation:

If you are now able to run your current Vivaldi version:

• Export your bookmarks

• Save or export the settings of your extensions

• Close Vivaldi and never use this installation again
      If you are not able to run your current Vivaldi version:

• Check the Windows Event Viewer and run eventually CHKSDK again. I hope you can trust your harddisk.

• Complete fresh Vivaldi installation (staple 1.3) as standalone with a foldername you never used before. No update.

• Don't copy any file to your new installation, it might be corrupted !

• Rename the foldername of your old crashed Vivaldi installation (e.g. oldname + crashed)

• ….

Windows 7 Pro (x64) - Vivaldi 1.4.589.2 (Developer Build) (x32)

My SSD is fine. No other instance of any program or files have any issues. It's a bug, SW problem, whatever you wanna call it. But don't blame it on some mysterious disk problems, please.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.