Opera Sync Service Hacked

• It seems Opera's browser sync service was just hacked and users data (including passwords) where compromised. EDIT: Passwords where hashed after all it seems. Personally, I think that storing passwords and other sensitive data in any browser is just a bad idea without a master password but maybe that is just me...

• What's your source? The passwords were of course hashed. You need to change them anyway…

https://www.opera.com/blogs/security/2016/08/opera-server-breach-incident/

• On Hackers News they reported passwords where compromised and I also remember the sync in Opera did not have encryption or hashing when it was first implemented. I assume they did this eventually so my mistake.

I take that back. It seems password where hashed and encrypted.

• Yeah it's hard to tell what the hackers got. I had an app which I used to export all the passwords from Opera 12 back in the day, but this hack might have been for Chropera's version of the sync service, which is presumably a little better protected in terms of encryption.

Either way I finally committed to a long overdue removal of Opera and deleted my account with them. It's Vivaldi only going forward!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.