Sync, the most important yet missing feature

• When I first saw Vivaldi I thought "hey, let's try this super-reactive browser". It has all the pro's of Chrome (starting from the engine), though it seems to be faster. Wonderful. Now: we're talking about a browser, right? No, it seems we're talking about email integration :huh: - ok, your browser, your priorities. But for me the most important feature of browsers nowadays is one and only one: (possibly cross-browser) sync of basic information, i.e. history, passwords, bookmarks. And no, I'm not talking about Xmarks: that piece of software ruined my bookmarks once (something like bookmarks duplicated again and again allover the folders), I don't want to try it again. AFAIK the Vivaldi team is working on their own system. But again, why do you all always want to re-invent the wheel? For example Mozilla let people download their own sync server, if you don't want to use theirs. In theory I could create an extension for Vivaldi to sync with Firefox Sync (if only I had the time to do that). Is it that BAD to support a standard (if it has all the things you need), instead of creating a brand new one, which features... oh well, the very same functionalities? In my humble opinion Vivaldi is a potentially great browser, but as of now, no sync, no joy. Let's think about the desktop, the laptop, the smartphone, the tablet... a new desktop, or a windows/linux dual-boot. I'm sticking to Firefox until I can manage to import and sync with it (yes, I want to be free whether browser to use - may THIS be the thing that let you always create new proprietary services? uhm...)

• Yes. This is the one thing keeping me from using Vivaldi. Once my bookmarks and preferences will sync among my devices, I'll be all in. Until then, it's a curiosity I'm keeping an eye on.

I could not possibly care less about email. I'd like to see that added as a (removable) extension.

Sync is being worked on hammer and tongs. It will arrive.

Mail will be built in, not an extension, but if a user does not turn it on, it will be as though it were never there. It will increase the size of the initial download a MB or two, and take up perhaps 10 or 12 KB in the complete file structure of the app overall if not activated, but if not used, it will impact the utility of the program exactly 0%. IN FACT, if a person uses email, doesn't like it, deletes their accounts and turns it back off, it will again be as though it were never turned on.

• Thanks Ayespy for the clarification. I'm not saying that the all-in-one idea is bad, and I also know, being a developer, that it's not that if you put all the devs on one task, it will be done faster.

The topic I really want to expand is the cross-browser interoperability.

You want to create your sync service? Fine, but let the people do two things (please):

1. run your own server on your box (linux?)
    2. create a full documentation on how to access the service outside of Vivaldi

Point one is essentially for two targets:
    a) super-anon users who don't want to share their data
    b) organizations that don't want employees to access external services, or want to be sure accesses are not spread externally

As per point 2, that'd be the key feature to let the user REALLY choose whichever browser to use. If I want to use a device which Vivaldi is not compatible with, I want to be sure I can sync my personal data as well as my history and my bookmarks. If I decide Vivaldi is not for me (and I hope we all know not every browser is for anyone, otherwise there would be only one), I'd be free to "sync away". Or to sync-in.

P.S.
    Honestly I hope the email client won't suck as 99% of the Outlook clones out there (including the "old-fashioned" Thunderbird). I'd love to see something like the (now dead, thanks to Google :pinch: ) Sparrow email client… Now there's a Windows "clone" called Mailbird (which I paied for). Thing is: make it different from the mass.

• I don't trust sync, so it's not a priority for me. Email, on the other hand, most definitely is. Most people, for some reason I can't wrap my head around, use webmail despite it being slow, clunky, and limited; consequently, desktop email clients have been neglected by developers, and they almost all sport archaic interfaces, incompatibility issues with modern server architectures, and performance issues up the wazoo. I desperately want something modern, sleek, and customizable to hit the scene, and if the Vivaldi browser is any indication, I think that Vivaldi's M3 will be just that.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.