Is there a way to configure a standard template?

• I want to push a standardized Vivaldi configuration in an office. All instances should have the subtle-theme as default, the menu panel should be visible etc. All this without configuring every single instance of course. How to do that? Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be a GPO-template from Vivaldi available. That's a really a must if you want to target anything besides home-users.

@psiegmann:

I want to push a standardized Vivaldi configuration in an office. All instances should have the subtle-theme as default, the menu panel should be visible etc.

All this without configuring every single instance of course.

How to do that? Any ideas?

There doesn't seem to be a GPO-template from Vivaldi available. That's a really a must if you want to target anything besides home-users.

That's not a feature of Vivaldi at this point. Of course an admin could make the desired changes in the first instance and then copy the "Default" folder from that one instance into each new install. That would do it.

Interestingly, a tester was working on a batch file yesterday, that might even be useful for something like this. If you're doing a distributed install (of course using a GPO-template would imply that) I don't know if his work would apply to that or not. But even my "solution" means walking around to each affected machine to install a copy of a file.

• Has that tester uploaded that batch file somewhere?

@psiegmann:

Has that tester uploaded that batch file somewhere?

Yes, but I'd rather he link to it if he's willing, as it's his work and I don't know what, if anything, he'd like to share. PM Christoph142 and ask him about it.

• Will do.

Before I deploy Vivaldi though, this question needs to be cleared up too:

https://vivaldi.net/forum/vivaldi-browser/14269-is-vivaldi-able-to-update-itself-when-you-re-not-the-administrator#72352

I hope you have some insights on this.

@psiegmann:

Will do.

Before I deploy Vivaldi though, this question needs to be cleared up too:

https://vivaldi.net/forum/vivaldi-browser/14269-is-vivaldi-able-to-update-itself-when-you-re-not-the-administrator#72352

I hope you have some insights on this.

Sorry, I don't. You can't set up in any directory other than the user/appdata/local directory unless you set up as standalone - and I know for sure that some systems require elevated privileges (I've done it on "identical" systems, one did and one did not) to set up in Program Files or Program Files (x86) Actually, Christoph may have an answer to this.

I know on this machine, I have 3 installs - one default and two more standalone, all in User/appdata/local, and all set up per-user (not all users), and each updates without my intervention beyond telling it "yes" when it offers the dowload, and then "yes" again when it asks to shut down Vivaldi and install the update.

• Any news on this front?

It's a quite sad that this whole "enterprise browsing" topic is so neglected by the team, despite being relatively easy to fix.

An official GPO template and packaging the browser as MSI is really not such a big deal. All other big browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE/Edge) are far more polished in this regard.

@psiegmann - I suspect Vivaldi is still 'way too raw to be "polished" or to consider trying to support enterprise per se as yet. The state of the software is just entirely too fluid to expect it to offer enterprise support. It changes significantly, sometimes in fundamental ways, every six weeks or so. When a plateau of feature-inclusion is reached and the rate of change plateaus, developers might turn some attention to the idea of offering support for Vivaldi being an enterprise default, especially with an eye toward sync support, mail server support, proxy configuration, etc.

• @psiegmann
    I suppose you already know that you can copy the User Data folder from C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Vivaldi

Not sure what the downside of that is. You'd need to test it but it works fine copying from my PC to my laptop etc

@Too_many_browsers - User was looking for a way to deploy Vivaldi across an enterprise in distributed fashion under a standard template from a central network locus. Vivaldi can't accommodate this approach yet.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.