[bug] Javascript messages (alert) freeze content zone when page loaded in background

• Vivaldi version : 1.3.551.28 x64 FR (but it has existed in Vivaldi for as long as I can remember). OS : Windows 10 x64 FR Test case : 1. Close the browser and clear the cookies if it is set to remember them (the site below displays the offending message only once, so I guess it uses cookies) 2. Open the link [url=http://www.lepoint.fr]http://www.lepoint.fr[/url] [b]in a background tab[/b] (I usually do so using middle-click from Google News). In the background, the site opens a JS Message box ([i]alert()[/i]) asking to download an app. Problem : The current tab is frozen (I cannot interact with it in any way), until I navigate to the tab that displays the alert, and close it. Afterwards, all the navigator becomes responsive again. This freezes all tabs except the one with the alert message displayed. The rest of Vivaldi's UI remains responsive, otherwise I couldn't navigate to the offending tab. I can reproduce it all the time when opening a link in the background to that site after I start Vivaldi (because I have set it to clear cookies on exit). I remember other sites triggering the same behavior, but I don't remember the URLs.

• @IcePanther:

This freezes all tabs except the one with the alert message displayed.

For me, in Vivaldi 1.3.551.28 (Last Snapshot before stable) ONLY the current tab was frozen. Other tabs worked OK.

This is similar to
    https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser/12151-bug-inactive-tab-stealing-focus

You should create a bug report (if you haven't already)

• Hi TbGbe,

I stand corrected. Indeed on the latest build it only freezes the current tab. Still annoying, though.

Bug reported using the form.

Yes, i see bug was reported as VB-20588 "Javascript messages (alert) freeze current tab when page loaded in background"

I cant reproduce this issue with internal Vivaldi version and official Final 1.3.551.30 on Win 10x64.
    No Freeze.

• Hi Gwen-Dragon,

• I tried downloading the official stable build 1.3.551.30 x32, and still have the problem.
    • Then, I tried setting the language to English, to see if language could be the problem; it is not, the problem still persists.
    • I also tried removing all extensions I had installed (there was only one : uBlock origin), this did not help either.
    • Finally, I tried refreshing/resetting my profile by renaming %AppData%/Local/Vivaldi/User Data, to no avail.

I can still reproduce it every time.

I understand it can be hard to diagnose if you cannot reproduce it on your side, are there additional steps I could take, such as enabling some tracing mode or debug logs ?

FYI, system hardware :
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    RAM: 24 GB DDR3-1600
    GPU: Integrated Intel HD Graphics

• @Gwen-Dragon:

I cant reproduce this issue with internal Vivaldi version and official Final 1.3.551.30 on Win 10x64.
    No Freeze.

just tried on 1.3.551.30 (Stable channel) (32-bit) and can confirm freeze
    whats more you cant even clone frozen tab, new cloned tab will freeze on blank screen without reloading

• @Gwen-Dragon:

Yes, i see bug was reported as VB-20588 "Javascript messages (alert) freeze current tab when page loaded in background"

Interesting.

I've just tried this on 1.3.551.30 (Stable channel) (32-bit)
    And do NOT see the freeze.

My Snapshot 1.3.551.28 is 64 bit.

Edit: So I tried again and it seems very strange (clearing cookies each time)

Freeze happens with Middle-Click (open in background)
    Freeze does NOT happen with Right-Click (open in background)
    Freeze does NOT happen with Mouse Gesture (open in background)

• @TbGbe:

Freeze happens with Middle-Click (open in background)
    Freeze does NOT happen with Right-Click (open in background)
    Freeze does NOT happen with Mouse Gesture (open in background)

I can confirm this. I only use middle-click usually, so I didn't think of testing other ways to open the tab in the background :oops: .

It does only happen with middle-click, using a mouse gesture or the context menu does not trigger the freeze.

I get the freeze with 1.3.551.28, 1.3.551.30 and internal tester version. Did not happen before as i tested.
    Strange bug.

Bug priority is increased now.

• Hi,

It still exists in latest build here (1.4.589.4), is there any news/progress on this, or , a page where I can follow the bug tracker with the VB-* number ?
    Just curious.

Thanks,

@IcePanther:

(…) a page where I can follow the bug tracker with the VB-* number ?

No, bugtracker is internal.

I updated the bug as existing in internal Vivaldi version.

Yes, because the bug is not fixed (internal + public version) yet ;)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.