Search engines BUG: if you delete one of the 7 default before adding a new one, Vivaldi stops workin



  • As much as I like the Vivaldi project, after what happened when I removed Google from the list of search engines, I can't help but ask what is the relationship between Vivaldi and Google. When I removed Google, Vivaldi stopped working, speed dial disappeared and when I typed a web address I got a black page and the address field became empty, after I reinstated Google, Vivaldi went back to normal. An explanation of this behavior would be appreciated. I adore the extent of features that Vivaldi is promising, but I adore my privacy - and freedom from G - even more.



  • The explanation is that if you probably do this with Chromium you will hit the same bug, because its developed by Google. And Vivaldi is basically Chromium for now.

    I can assure you this is a bug in the technical preview and its surely not done on purpose.



  • The problem I'd have with removing Google is that it is the only search I have - I'm not sure how it would deal with no searches at all. There, now that I've added a Wikipedia search let's see about Google …



  • Actually, I was wrong - there are several but I never checked the dropdown. So far looks okay …

    No problem deleting Google at all - just make sure you set some other engine as default before closing Vivaldi.



  • @terere:

    The explanation is that if you probably do this with Chromium you will hit the same bug, because its developed by Google. And Vivaldi is basically Chromium for now.

    I can assure you this is a bug in the technical preview and its surely not done on purpose.

    I have used a lot of chromium based browsers, I have always removed google and I have never experienced an issue like this.

    @sgunhouse:

    No problem deleting Google at all - just make sure you set some other engine as default before closing Vivaldi.

    I have 7 search engines
    I have just tried it again and I can confirm that after removing Google Vivaldi stops working.
    could it be platform related? linux here.
    It would be nice to have a clarifying word from the developers.



  • Did you set one of the others as default first?



  • @sgunhouse:

    Did you set one of the others as default first?

    of course, I always do that every time I try a new browser: I set DDG as a default and I delete G.
    are you on linux?



  • Windows 7 here. Though possibly there's a difference between the released build and the one I have - there shouldn't be. I'm a tester, and have had this version a couple of days longer than the general public - but it is the same version number. Then again now that I think about, the fact I added another engine first could also be significant. Hmm …



  • @Sajadi:

    User of Windows 8 here, it is not only Google, if i delete any of the engines, the tabs stop working properly, so it is clearly a bug and not a "forced feature" thanks to Google.

    you're right, I have tried deleting wolphramalpha and got the same result, it looks like a bug related to the search engine management.



  • Did you try adding one first? Google has not reappeared since I deleted it.



  • @sgunhouse:

    Did you try adding one first? Google has not reappeared since I deleted it.

    so you are saying that the problem is related to the number of search engines you have?
    it would be a bug all the same
    I'll try that later anyway

    PS: nailed it! Vivaldi comes with 7 search engines, you can add search engines with no issues but you cannot have less than 7, otherwise the problem I have described in the OP will appear, just a bug.



  • Barring that I only have 6 now …

    My guess was that it is like Opera 12 (before 12.15) with one file for defaults and then a second file for changes, but that deleting a search engine was not creating this file - you had to add or modify a search engine first to create the file. Once the file for changes existed, everything should work.



  • @sgunhouse:

    Barring that I only have 6 now …

    My guess was that it is like Opera 12 (before 12.15) with one file for defaults and then a second file for changes, but that deleting a search engine was not creating this file - you had to add or modify a search engine first to create the file. Once the file for changes existed, everything should work.

    gosh! I have to change the title of the topic one more time! B)
    yes, it seems to work the way you have described.



  • I created a bug report for this … if any of the staff read this the report is VB-2959.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.