Vivaldi takes a long time to open google.



  • Greetings, if this is in the wrong topic, please move it. (Couldn't see a "Tech Support" section, but I might have missed it) Also, if this question has been asked and has an answer, please point me in its way through PM, then remove this thread. No need for superfluous posts. Now, onto the problem. After updating Vivaldi to version 1.3.551.30 I noticed that opening pages takes an unnatural long time. I'm talking >5 minutes to open Google, and about the same time to view the installed Extensions. Changing settings also seemed to have this ~5minute delay to them for some reason. I thought it was an issue with my computer since it had been running for a long time, but problem persisted despite shutting down, clearing motherboard of electricity, then starting again. Have three Plugins installed [ol][li]Widevine Content Decryption Module[/li] [li]Chromium PDF Viewer[/li] [li]Adobe Flash Player[ol] [li]Version 22.0.0.209[/li] [/ol] [/ol] And three Extensions [ol][li]feedly[/li] [li]Reddit Enhancement Suite[/li] [li]Stylish[/li] [/ol] If more information needed, ask and I'll try my best to provide it. I have got Process Hacker installed so I can see advanced details like open modules and handles linked to the program.



  • 5 minutes to open the extensions page shows there is something seriously wrong.
    A quick and easy check is to test with a new profile.
    See Help/About for the path of your Profile.
    Close Vivaldi and then Rename the Folder - e.g. Default.Saved
    Restart Vivaldi (a new Default folder will be created automatically) and check if it now works
    Note: you can copy the Bookmarks files from the Default.Saved folder to the new Default folder. But you should install extensions individually and retest after each.



  • Sorry for late reply.
    Generating a new profile made the loading times go back to normal.

    Changing the settings back to what I used to have, adding the bookmarks, and installing the extensions… and re-inputting all the passwords to be saved... and my browser is back to how it used to be.
    If you want I could remove the saved passwords and cookies from the 'broken' profile, zip it, and attach to a reply, for you to figure out what went wrong.


  • Moderator

    Unless you have a million bookmarks, it would appear that the problem is in your extensions. Did you re-install them one at a time, as recommended, and test for performance after each one?

    I'm not a developer, and the developers won't have time to try to analyze your copy of Vivaldi. I'm just a public person like yourself with some extra privileges.

    I recommend you get rid of all the extensions and then only re-install them one at a time, testing after each, to see which one is causing your problem.



  • Just to reiterate, and clarify:

    Changing the settings back to what I used to have, adding the bookmarks, and installing the extensions… and re-inputting all the passwords to be saved... and my browser is back to how it used to be.

    [ol]

    • I created a new 'default' profile, as TbGbe instructed me to do.
    • I checked the loading times and it was like they should be (<1 second to open google, or any settings page).
    • I went back to my old profile (renaming the 'default' to 'default.new' and 'default.old' to 'default' and took screenshots of the settings tabs.
    • I returned to the new profile (reverse the previous rename instructions) and entered my old settings.
    • Restarted computer (to make sure the browser was completely restarted) and checked loading times (again, like they should be), to make sure it was not a problem with my settings.
    • Imported my bookmarks (in the manner TbGbe described) and checked the loading times (again, like they should be).
    • Installed feedly (extension), checked loading times (again, like they should be), restared computer and double-checked loading times (again, like they should be).
    • Installed RES and Stylish (last two extensions), checked loading times (again, like they should be), closed down Vivaldi and killed the remaining proces (didn't feel like waiting for a reboot again), and checked the loading times (again, like they should be).
    • Installed the custom styles I had on Stylish and checked the loading times (again, like they should be).
      [/ol]

    When I checked the loading times, I went to one of the sites I had saved my password on, to re-enter all that data as well as to make sure I checked different sites each time (circumventing any potential caching that could hide problems)

    Sorry for the overly detailed post, but I figured I'd write down every step (as far as I can remember them) I took even if it's superfluous.

    So, yes, right now I have a fully functional browser again, and no idea what caused the massive load times in the first place, which is why I offered to submit that profile for debugging.

    Thanks for the assistance though, and hope this could help someone else in the future.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.