Roadmap

• I know, its only 3 days, but besides the welcome to the forum post and creating the new categories to fit the discussion around the browser not a single word anymore. The only person from Vivaldi which seems to be officially in these forums has 2 posts, counting the welcome post. Of course I see how he is moving the topics around but it would be nice if you guys want to keep up us updated on what is next. :oops: You don't want the momentum to pass and it will because the browser is not really functional at this point, this means most users will use them for a few hours or days, hit a major bug and decide its not prime time ready and be sad again. It would be nice if you give us a bug tracker first. Then maybe, tell us how you plan to update us about new changes or versions and when. How offend do you plan to release bugs fixes? Once a week, once a month, more? I would like to know if this is going to pass and it will be months or even years before we have a stable version or if you plan to keep us rolling as things evolve. I really, really want to replace my main browser but I need to know how fast bugs are going to be killed, I don't new new features, the browser is completely functional as it is, but critical bugs have to be gone first. :sick: All we know is that it took a year to release this, but what can we expect from now on? Was this just a project? Do you plan to make this the main product of the company and give it all the love it deserves or its just a way to test waters and measure users reactions? Yes, a lot of questions but we are very passionate :woohoo: , must of us are waiting for 2 years for an Opera alternative. I'm not willing to go all the drama Opera 15 went, months on each update just to see each new release biggest feature was changing a color :angry: . I hope you don't make those mistakes. If you are guys are to slow you are going to kill the momentum right when it needs its first push. An average is fine. Can we expect to have something working maybe in a couple of weeks or a couple of months? I don't mean stable, but something usable that has at least the biggest bugs gone. :whistle:

• Vivaldi Translator

Me too

• @terere:

The only person from Vivaldi which seems to be officially in these forums has 2 posts, counting the welcome post.

Not true. For example: Shpankov, olli, tatsuki, bjorgvin and christian are also active.

• Yes, please! Some more information on the roadmap :)

• It would definitely help to keep my hyped and advertise the browser to friends if we knew what is coming and when - most of my friends still use Opera 12 because we all are too used Mouse wheel tab-changing along with other little features and if Vivaldi does it right they're gonna have some dedicated users :lol:
    Still, give them time. They're probably overworked from the release as it is, but let's look forward to it.

• In another thread Olli said there would be an update next week.

You could also check the Featured Blogs to see what Jon has to say, etc. Not everything occurs in the forums. However, every long-time Opera user know the official timeline on anything here - namely, "When it's ready".

• @sgunhouse:

"When it's ready".

The last software company that said "it's done when it's done", said that about Duke Nukem Forever. Well… B)

• Opera was always "When it's ready". Oh, and Duke Nukem Forever was eventually released ,,,

• @sgunhouse:

Opera was always "When it's ready". Oh, and Duke Nukem Forever was eventually released ,,,

A roadmap doesn't require specific dates, only the general trajectory of development.

• @purgatori:

A roadmap doesn't require specific dates, only the general trajectory of development.

We know the general trajectory :P

[ul]

• Email Client
    • Extended Control (Settings/Configuration)
    • Feature enhancements/additions
    • Increased Customisation
    • Synchronisation
    • Themes improvement
      [/ul]

NB The list is in Alphabetical order only :whistle:
    We also "know" that Email and Themes/Customisation are handled by separate/independent development teams. B)

• @purgatori:

Vivaldi is going onwards and upwards.

• Vivaldi Translator

I agree that there should be a something more to keep the momentum and to give people feel that something is going on

V team about year ago used to release snapshots every monday - but I understand that it got complicated because codebase grew, etc…

I think we need something... I don't know....
    Generally I'm not so much interested in all of these quotes, press articles and so on
    It's just... i don't know how to name it.... You wait a whole week and there is no fresh updates to download and total silence in every communication channel I have
    Maybe they should post some photos instead? :P
    Maybe some funny statistics like number of line changes in their repositories? xD
    IDK...

We just need more feedback
    I understand that it's hard task to give to us new semi-stable build or release estimates
    We want to know that V team is… still alive? ;)

I hope that maybe somebody from V-team will accidentally read this

• Looking back, blog posts are more frequent than once a week. I think that's pretty impressive as far as feedback goes. Posting more feedback about what's not ready won't resolve the frustration of why my pet feature is not implemented yet. All they could do is post more chit-chat or news type posts, which you say you don't like (me neither).

September 29, 2016
    September 19, 2016
    September 14, 2016
    September 13, 2016
    September 8, 2016
    September 6, 2016
    September 2, 2016
    August 26, 2016
    August 24, 2016
    August 18, 2016

• Vivaldi Translator

Personally I'm just quiet happy with current funcionality for today :)
    There are some disadvantages but I can survive them :)

Maybe I'm just looking more for "what new they implemented" or "is that annoying bug fixed" or "are there new stuff to translate and talk about"
    Maybe I'm just a bit jealous about people that have access to inside builds or I just want to do something useful like finding new bugs instead of refreshing team blog :P

Here, let me make you more jealous: Insiders get a new build to play with pretty much every. single. day. Mon-Fri, and sometimes more often than that. Each build has more bugs fixed and more progress on features. So if no one else can tell that the developers are always making progress, we can. Unfortunately, daily announcements of these changes and daily feedback from the overall public would create a sort of chaos which could bring progress grinding to a halt. So perhaps it's just as well that insider testing is performed by a limited number of brave and unflappable people who can tolerate a lot of breakage.

• Vivaldi Translator

I know - I've personally met some people more involved in Vivaldi ;)
    (BTW I'm wondering how much of Your, Sopranos time does it take per week)

Breakage You say? I use Vivaldi as my main browser since first public build in january 2015 :silly:
    And about bravery - do You know how funny it is to translate all new things that are invisible in public builds? :P

It does take "too much" time to be a Soprano. In fact, I always feel like I ought to be doing a bit more to give meaningful feedback to the developers. I'm self-employed and could technically be spending every minute of every day working on my own concerns. But I am sufficiently committed to the success of the project that I'll never complain about the time investment. If Vivaldi wins, I also will win.

Breakage is a day-to day thing, that you never get to see. A regression is repaired, it breaks something else, it is withdrawn for further work, etc., etc. until something at least worthy of being a Snapshot emerges. Then, every week or two, the public sees a Snapshot. The world of the Sopranos is the world of the Law of Unintended Consequences. We also discuss (argue about?) quite a bit, what most deserves the next concentration of developer attention - and whether this or that concept is superior. To avoid pandemonium, it is necessary to limit the numbers of folks involved in discussion. But trust me, nearly EVERY user viewpoint is represented at some point, so all of the public feedback provides fuel to the flame that energizes the crucible of development.

• Vivaldi Translator

@Ayespy:

It does take "too much" time to be a Soprano. In fact, I always feel like I ought to be doing a bit more to give meaningful feedback to the developers. I'm self-employed and could technically be spending every minute of every day working on my own concerns. But I am sufficiently committed to the success of the project that I'll never complain about the time investment. If Vivaldi wins, I also will win.

Kudos :)
    I work on full-time contract so I have to sacrify some of my sleep for making and discussing translations - but it is more "random" thing to do

@Ayespy:

Breakage is a day-to day thing, that you never get to see. A regression is repaired, it breaks something else, it is withdrawn for further work, etc., etc. until something at least worthy of being a Snapshot emerges.

I know that pain - I'm a developer ;)

@Ayespy:

To avoid pandemonium, it is necessary to limit the numbers of folks involved in discussion. But trust me, nearly EVERY user viewpoint is represented at some point, so all of the public feedback provides fuel to the flame that energizes the crucible of development.

"Pandemonium" xD
    I fully inderstand :)

I am not frustrated. I know that dev team is burden down with work. I know how hard is to make some estimates or what are the consequences of publishing development plans.
    I just have a feeling that there is a bit more… silent everywhere in last weeks than it used to be before
    It's just my personal point of view but I know that more people agree with it ;)
    I have no idea for any other useful way of feedback...
    I just figured it out

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.