Vivaldi blurry text

• So let me start off by saying; I love Vivaldi. I love its look, its speed, everything. There's just a couple of things I have "issues" with, if you will. I'll keep it simple. Random blurred out text on pages, (OS is Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit. Latest snapshot version of Vivaldi). Second, the ability to drag tabs into new windows. Yes, I'm aware you can right-click it and "send to" a new window. It's probably a feature in the works, if so, feel free to ignore it. Thanks!

Which version number of Vivaldi are you using, that is producing blurred text? I know this has been an issue for a small number users. For some, the cause is known, for others, it's not.

As to detaching a tab, the ability to drag tabs out of and into windows is being worked on quite diligently by some members of the development team right now, and I would expect it won't be too awfully long before we see it in a released version.

• Okay so, this is currently the version of Vivaldi I am using, taken from the Vivaldi "About" page.

http://prntscr.com/c39wjl

So you're using 1.3, which is built on Chromium 52 - and that's the one that forces all text to be rendered by DirectWrite on windows, and no longer has the flag to turn that off. This is producing blurry text on some systems, Google has not said what they are going to do about it (if anything), and the rather small Vivaldi developer team are a bit too preoccupied at the moment to see if there's anything they can do to improve the rendering for the limited number of cases that a suffering from this problem.

I personally have never seen the issue, and apparently some other users have it and don't even know it because the slight blur in the the text does not look wrong to them.

So I'm sad to say I have no suggestion for you at the moment. A lot of people have brought up a lot of ideas, but there's no known predictable fix.

• Right, I'd been reading about that "DirectWrite" thing. Strange, because, I normally use the Google Chrome browser and have never seen this issue in it. As for the "slight blur"… well I may agree, if it didn't blur so bad I cannot physically read any text on the screen. So, unfortunately I won't be using Vivaldi until this changes. I may attempt to Google some more things about DirectWrite and see if I can find a work-around.

Thanks for the input!

Edit: Will try to download Vivaldi 1.2.490.43.exe, the latest stable version and see if I can disable DirectWrite in that. If so, I will happily continue to use Vivaldi!

Update: Sadly, the issue still occurs even with DirectWrite disabled, so I'm not exactly sure what it causing it or why. It's so strange that this happens only on browsers that aren't Chrome, Firefox or hell, even Edge.

• Karashi: 1.3.519.25 this is the latest build where you can disable DirectWrite, I'm using it. It must work, try to completely uninstall Vivaldi, also everything from windows profile folder. I recomend to create shortcut for .exe and put there as well –disable-directwrite-for-ui.

Edit: Has anyone have looked at this https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd368170 ? If this is implemented in Chromium code? I assume yes, because of ignoring general windows cleartype settings.

• What folders are Vivaldi all located in? Also; I used the latest version, the "snapshot version" as shown above in the screen-shot of the image. The option was not there. However.. I went back to an older version and disabled it and the issue still happens. But Chrome doesn't have this problem?

Help/About tells you where Vivaldi is on your machine.

• So I reinstalled the only version I could find; I couldn't find where to download the above mentioned version. I added in the string after the target in the shortcut, but it did not help.

• Okay so, I have tried a couple things. I put the shortcut in the target in quotes, before the string, and I disabled display scaling on high DPI settings, and ran it as an administrator. I am in the process of testing to see if this all works. This is version:
    Vivaldi 1.3.551.30 (Stable channel) (32-bit) (Don't know if there's an actual 64-bit available)

Edit: Still does not work. I'm not really sure why this affects Vivaldi, but not Chrome. There's no option to disable it in Chrome and I've never had this issue with it.

Chrome apparently uses proprietary rendering but sticks all Chromium-based browsers with system rendering.

• Is that not something the developers can change themselves? Like, in any way?

It's not impossible, but also not easy. Vivaldi can write their own text renderer, very labor intensive; can write and backport a "disable DirecWrite" patch for Chromium (somewhat less labor intensive), install it in every Chromium update they incorporate in the browser and hope that Chromium doesn't keep changing at a rate that continually requires a re-write of the patch or make it so that disabling DirectWrite is even worse than leaving it enabled; write a patch that modifies DirectWrite in Vivaldi only (DirectWrite has several rendering settings that can be adjusted) and hope that their modifications are good for everyone, etc.

I think a more productive approach would be still labor intensive and slow, but more reliable in the long run, and that's to build an automated response into Vivaldi that alters rendering in response to different levels of DPI, which would enable Vivaldi to render more faithfully on all systems.

But none of this is up to me. I'm just voicing some opinions.

• You can download 1.3.519.25 here https://vivaldi.net/teamblog/125-color-picker-for-themes-add-speed-dial-as-a-homepage-and-more This is the latest version where is implemented DirectDraw flag.

• @Ayespy:

It's not impossible, but also not easy. Vivaldi can write their own text renderer, very labor intensive; can write and backport a "disable DirecWrite" patch for Chromium (somewhat less labor intensive), install it in every Chromium update they incorporate in the browser and hope that Chromium doesn't keep changing at a rate that continually requires a re-write of the patch or make it so that disabling DirectWrite is even worse than leaving it enabled; write a patch that modifies DirectWrite in Vivaldi only (DirectWrite has several rendering settings that can be adjusted) and hope that their modifications are good for everyone, etc.

I think a more productive approach would be still labor intensive and slow, but more reliable in the long run, and that's to build an automated response into Vivaldi that alters rendering in response to different levels of DPI, which would enable Vivaldi to render more faithfully on all systems.

But none of this is up to me. I'm just voicing some opinions.

Those opinions should go to the team who creates Vivaldi; they've already taken in my suggestion to be able to drag tabs to new windows without having to right-click them and hit "new window".

• Hi, I have similar problem. All ui text is blurry comparing to Opera. I just updated to latest version and still have this problem.

Opera - Text is really sharp

Vivaldi - blurry

• Me too I have the same problem . I can hardly read the text . Even my keyboard doesn't act the same .

• See, mine isn't just a "slight blur, or not really sharp text", my text becomes completely obscure, to the point it's as if someone to a backwards magnifying glass or a photoshop tool and COMPLETELY blurred out the text.

So I've noticed that the text only fades away when there isn't a certain level of activity in the certain field of text. I.E The body, header; etc. Here's an example of the blur difference. On the same monitor, same GPU.. just Chrome (latest version) and Vivaldi. (This version http://prntscr.com/c6c24a )

http://prntscr.com/c6c1m3

• Hi, I don´t have this problem but did anybody try a extension for blurry text problem?
    Font Rendering Enhancer is one I know.

Cheers, mib

• Quite literally nothing has changed with those extensions. Also; why the hell did my Vivaldi website suddenly become German?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.