Fed up with Vivaldi

• Fed up with there being no way to associate file types with Vivaldi. There's no way to have my MP3 player (Winamp) start when I click on an MP3, M3U or pls link on a live radio website - all I get is a blank screen. Am I missing something??? I was really impressed with Vivaldi, but it seems that browsers nowadays are getting worse - Firefox is slow and increasingly annoying/frustrating, IE/Edge is useless and the new kid Vivaldi just doesn't listen to users. I'm seriously considering ditching the web.

• I tried to open a MP3 file with Vivaldi and it worked fine, Vivaldi played the file just fine. Just right click on a MP3 file and browse for Vivaldi.exe and open with it.

• I'm fed up with users whining about their pet feature not being available yet in a browser that is still under development.

The Feature Request for configuring MIME types has already been made at least a few times. All popular features from Opera 12.17 will be implemented in due course. It is the Vivaldi Team's stated policy to give users something similar to the old Opera that they love so much. It is the raison d'être for the Vivaldi project.

For now, you can download the file, then open it from the downloads panel with double-click. There are options to open the containing folder and to clear downloads, so tidying up at the end of the day is not difficult.

• @Pesala:

I'm fed up with users whining about their pet feature not being available yet in a browser that is still under development.

The Feature Request for configuring MIME types has already been made at least a few times. All popular features from Opera 12.17 will be implemented in due course. It is the Vivaldi Team's stated policy to give users something similar to the old Opera that they love so much. It is the raison d'être for the Vivaldi project.

For now, you can download the file, then open it from the downloads panel with double-click. There are options to open the containing folder and to clear downloads, so tidying up at the end of the day is not difficult.

Same old excuse of 'development' well I'm sorry but Vivaldi rushed far too quickly into releasing a stable version. Vivaldi needs to pull its socks up now as Opera is leading the bar with modern functions people are drooling over not to mention reliability even on the development version. We can't even get a speed-dial button on Vivaldi or even an option in the settings to place the speed-dial in the home button?

• @browserking:

Same old excuse of 'development' well I'm sorry but Vivaldi rushed far too quickly into releasing a stable version. Vivaldi needs to pull its socks up now as Opera is leading the bar with modern functions people are drooling over not to mention reliability even on the development version. We can't even get a speed-dial button on Vivaldi or even an option in the settings to place the speed-dial in the home button?

Opera 38 is the current stable version. Opera 15 was the first stable release, which was released May 27, 2013, years ahead of Vivalid 1.0 Final. Was Opera 15 released too early too?

Vivaldi 1.0 was the first stable release about 18 months ago, and Vivaldi 1.3 is now getting close to final.

If you think that insulting developers is a smart way to get your pet features sooner, you're severely mistaken. People work much better when motivated by encouragement and praise.

If your top priority is eye-candy like speed dial thumbnails it can already be done with some tweaking of Vivaldi's system files.

• Just for info, add vivaldi://startpage in Homepage field and Home button is speeddial.

Cheers, mib

• @browserking:

with modern functions people are drooling over

What exactly are they drooling over? The totally limited settings (more limited even than Chrome)? The inability to move tab bar at the bottom? The lack of a status bar? The inability to import bookmarks from Firefox? If people are truly drooling over that crap browser, then that doesn't make their intelectual level look good…

I think the more accurate statement would be "modern" functions that the Opera Desktop Team are congratulating themselves over.

Sure, some users like these. But they are not the same users Vivaldi is trying to reach.

• @rado84:

@browserking:

with modern functions people are drooling over

What exactly are they drooling over? The totally limited settings (more limited even than Chrome)? The inability to move tab bar at the bottom? The lack of a status bar? The inability to import bookmarks from Firefox? If people are truly drooling over that crap browser, then that doesn't make their intelectual level look good…

The same features many users and converted users are now enjoying after moving from Chrome and other so-called browsers. For Vivaldi to be the true power-house browser it has to have its own features and those of others. At some point I'd expect Vivaldi to have at least a turbo option, ad-blocker, resource sniffer. Vivaldi needs to have everything that both Opera and Maxthon utilize and then the rest it already has and maybe more. If Vivaldi can come up with something similar to Microsoft's 'ink' then that will really put the cat amongst the pigeons. Maybe Vivaldi should bug fix and get this 1.3 stable out and then start concentrating on more features again.

• @mib2berlin:

Just for info, add vivaldi://startpage in Homepage field and Home button is speeddial.

Cheers, mib

Thank you for this, I just installed the latest Vivaldi to try your recommendation out and it actually works perfectly. This is all fine and well but Vivaldi should make a settings option if someone wants to use the home button. Some people might not want the home button used up by the speed-dial and instead prefer both a home button and a speed-dial button. For myself it doesn't matter in the slightest and remember Opera only has a speed-dial button and no home-button.

• @browserking:

The same features many users and converted users are now enjoying after moving from Chrome and other so-called browsers. For Vivaldi to be the true power-house browser it has to have its own features and those of others. At some point I'd expect Vivaldi to have at least a turbo option, ad-blocker, resource sniffer. Vivaldi needs to have everything that both Opera and Maxthon utilize and then the rest it already has and maybe more. If Vivaldi can come up with something similar to Microsoft's 'ink' then that will really put the cat amongst the pigeons. Maybe Vivaldi should bug fix and get this 1.3 stable out and then start concentrating on more features again.

The turbo option has never done anything really. It reads it's for slower computers but that doesn't make loading the pages any faster, so it's a useless feature we don't need nowadays cuz everyone has a powerful computer to run the browser.
    Vivaldi is better without its own adblocker because if it did have one, it would be only basic which usually means it will be either slower or not working or both. Or even preventing a custom adblocker to be installed. There are tons of addons for Vivaldi (Chrome) and uBlock Origin is the best adblock I've seen in the last decade, so I wouldn't like Vivaldi to have its own adblocker.
    "Sniffer" sounds suspicious to me, so it's better off without it.
    Finally, there's something no other browser has offered to its users for more than 10 years already and which is the main reason I migrated to Vivaldi (the second reason was that Firefox became too slow) - the feature to move the tabbar at the bottom of the window. If the developers of Vivaldi some day decide to remove that feature, I'll either migrate to another browser of the all-alike bunch, or I'll just find a way to disable browser update.

"The turbo option has never done anything really. It reads it's for slower computers but that doesn't make loading the pages any faster, so it's a useless feature we don't need nowadays cuz everyone has a powerful computer to run the browser."

Turbo is not a browser feature. It's a server farm that acts as a proxy and compresses pages before forwarding them to the user. It saves on data allotments more than anything, really, though it does speed up page loading on phones and such.

• @Ayespy:

I think the more accurate statement would be "modern" functions that the Opera Desktop Team are congratulating themselves over.

it is a form of advertising, not much different from what you find in Vivaldi´s tweets and whatever.

@Ayespy:

Sure, some users like these. But they are not the same users Vivaldi is trying to reach.

What makes you say that? on what basis beside your opinion?

The way I see it Opera and Vivaldi are part of a group of browsers trying to win over the small percentage of PC users not browsing the www with Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari.

Vivaldi is trying to attract a class of users who demand that their browser be highly conformable, full of built-in options and features (thus needing few or no extensions), and who use their browsers to perform boring things like work. Evidence? Jon's statements, the fact that the UI already, at this early stage, has loads of looks, functions and configurations, and the fact that they are busting their butts to get an email client (reportedly to include an RSS client) ready to incorporate. The very technologies chosen for the UI, purely to provide flexibility and conformability, are direct evidence of who their target public are.

Opera is trying to attract a class of users who consume a lot of media (and games), who don't mind using a raft of extensions, who are more spectators/consumers of the web than workers on it, and who prefer simplicity over effort. The evidence? That they have removed all of the features which distinguished Opera 12.X and prior, replaced literally none of them, and have focused on visual slickness and faddish options. This approach will appeal to a wider, but shallower band of users than Vivaldi.

You can tell who they are trying to attract, by what they work on. It's not guess. It's believing one's eyes.

• @rado84:

@browserking:

The turbo option has never done anything really. It reads it's for slower computers but that doesn't make loading the pages any faster, so it's a useless feature we don't need nowadays cuz everyone has a powerful computer to run the browser.
    Vivaldi is better without its own adblocker because if it did have one, it would be only basic which usually means it will be either slower or not working or both. Or even preventing a custom adblocker to be installed. There are tons of addons for Vivaldi (Chrome) and uBlock Origin is the best adblock I've seen in the last decade, so I wouldn't like Vivaldi to have its own adblocker.
    "Sniffer" sounds suspicious to me, so it's better off without it.
    Finally, there's something no other browser has offered to its users for more than 10 years already and which is the main reason I migrated to Vivaldi (the second reason was that Firefox became too slow) - the feature to move the tabbar at the bottom of the window. If the developers of Vivaldi some day decide to remove that feature, I'll either migrate to another browser of the all-alike bunch, or I'll just find a way to disable browser update.

U-Block may be able to block a bit more than other ad-blockers but it will never be as good with a browser as an optimized built-in blocker by the browser maker themselves especially the Opera team. You just don't get it do you? Chrome add-ons are restricted and censored. Utilize Opera or Yandex and video downloading extensions will download from Youtube, try and do the same on Vivaldi or any other browser utilizing the Chrome store. People really need to become more independent from Microsoft, Apple and Google services.

Turbo has many uses for a lot of people, it can help save data for those on lame bandwidth metering and it can act as a form of proxy anonymous service. In countries where certain sites are blocked then Turbo helps bypass those very well indeed. Right now I couldn't switch over to Vivaldi full time because I require the Turbo feature so I can only choose Opera, UC Browser or Yandex. Of course Opera also has the so-called VPN which will also help get around ISP filters.

I mentioned a 'resource sniffer' which is nothing more than a built in video/pic/audio downloading aid as built into Maxthon for very long time. I've found when other media extensions haven't worked then I usually try the Maxthon sniffer and most times I'll grab the media (not all). There is nothing suspicious about try to grab media out of websites. At one time Yandex browser had tabs on the bottom and may still have an option but I've not tried it of late. Personally I and most others detest tabs on the bottom, its not even natural.

• @browserking:

You just don't get it do you?

OMZ! Ever since you began posting here you have exhibited arrogance, rudeness, intolerance, bullying & intemperance. Why do you feel a need to misbehave this way? Why do you imagine you have a right to misbehave this way? Please learn some manners & drop the Dictator make-believe.

@browserking:

Right now I couldn't switch over to Vivaldi full time because…

Oh, i know this one, i know this one; it's the good ol' "fill in the missing words" game! Goody, i'll have a go. Let's see, howzabout… "...Opera would then have to remove me from the payroll"?

• @Steffie:

@browserking:

You just don't get it do you?

OMZ! Ever since you began posting here you have exhibited arrogance, rudeness, intolerance, bullying & intemperance. Why do you feel a need to misbehave this way? Why do you imagine you have a right to misbehave this way? Please learn some manners & drop the Dictator make-believe.

@browserking:

Right now I couldn't switch over to Vivaldi full time because…

Oh, i know this one, i know this one; it's the good ol' "fill in the missing words" game! Goody, i'll have a go. Let's see, howzabout… "...Opera would then have to remove me from the payroll"?

Please give it a rest with the payroll nonsense as I don't work for Opera and never will do. I told you that I need the 'Turbo' feature and therefore I have a choice right now of just three web browsers with such a feature; OPERA, UC Browser and Yandex. All of these browsers perform extremely well but I despise the speed-dial limitations of the latter two. If Vivaldi can suit my needs in the near future then I'll gladly dump Opera but until then I'm staying with Opera unless someone else can dethrone the king. So tell me if I start sticking up for Maxthon 5 in the future if it becomes a good browser then according to you will I be paid by Maxthon? Maybe I'll be paid by Yandex in your eyes?

• @Ayespy:

Vivaldi is trying to attract a class of users who demand that their browser be highly conformable, full of built-in options and features (thus needing few or no extensions), and who use their browsers to perform boring things like work. Evidence? Jon's statements,

It's believing one's eyes.

that´s my point: I´ll believe it when I´ll see it, as for now I see promises (just like the e-mail client options in the settings from day one) and not many facts (fact: we need extensions and a lot of them don´t perform the way they should, fact: Linux version is way behind the Windows version). I realize that developing requires resources, so I understand why the Windows version is better than the Linux one, so I understand why Vivaldi goes stable when - in the linux version - it is no more than an alpha. At the same time Vivaldi fans have to accept that when you go stable people will compare your preformance to the other stable browsers, it doesn´t matter if your project has 1,3, 10 years of development, when you go stable you will be tested with everything else on the market that is labeled "stable" - it worked the same way 3 years ago when Opera went Blink.
    Opera Presto was good at everything, that´s why for 10 years I had just one browser on my system, I use my browser both ways - work and entertainment - and the way things are now nor Opera nor Vivaldi satisfy my needs entirely.

• @TalGarik:

@Ayespy:

Vivaldi is trying to attract a class of users who demand that their browser be highly conformable, full of built-in options and features (thus needing few or no extensions), and who use their browsers to perform boring things like work. Evidence? Jon's statements,

It's believing one's eyes.

that´s my point: I´ll believe it when I´ll see it, as for now I see promises (just like the e-mail client options in the settings from day one) and not many facts (fact: we need extensions and a lot of them don´t perform the way they should, fact: Linux version is way behind the Windows version). I realize that developing requires resources, so I understand why the Windows version is better than the Linux one, so I understand why Vivaldi goes stable when - in the Linux version - it is no more than an alpha. At the same time Vivaldi fans have to accept that when you go stable people will compare your performance to the other stable browsers, it doesn´t matter if your project has 1,3, 10 years of development, when you go stable you will be tested with everything else on the market that is labeled "stable" - it worked the same way 3 years ago when Opera went Blink.
    Opera Presto was good at everything, that´s why for 10 years I had just one browser on my system, I use my browser both ways - work and entertainment - and the way things are now nor Opera nor Vivaldi satisfy my needs entirely.

At last another being on here who has common sense and vision.

• @55brianb:

There's no way to have my MP3 player (Winamp) start when I click on an MP3, M3U or pls link on a live radio website - all I get is a blank screen. Am I missing something???

You're missing the key thing - first and foremost the place to set up file associations is system setting, not settings of any given application. Vivaldi is telling your Windows/Linux/whatever to open a file. Why does your system do something wrong? Don't know. But most likely it's not problem with Vivaldi.

@browserking:

Vivaldi needs to pull its socks up now as Opera is leading the bar with modern functions people are drooling over not to mention reliability even on the development version.

I'm sorry, did anyone here put a gun to your head and forced you to use Vivaldi? No? Than you can just use Opera. Some of us are willing to wait to see how things will develop with Vivaldi.

I switched from Chrome to Vivaldi and so far I'm glad I did it. I got rid of at least 3 extensions in the process and I can now use any extension I find, not just the ones Google allows me to use. And for me this is the key feature and other things are secondary.

@browserking:

Some people might not want the home button used up by the speed-dial and instead prefer both a home button and a speed-dial button.

I actually have homepage set to open StartPage search and SpeedDial opens as a new tab. Works fine for me.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.