Multiple windows and "session"

• Hi all, I rely on the startup-with-last-session feature ("Preferences" > "Startup" > "Startup With = Last Session") to continue from where I left off last time. But this doesn't work well with multiple windows. I sometimes accidentally open a new window by selecting "Open Link in New Window" by mistake. That is fine and so I continue to use the two windows. But then, when I shut down my PC for the day, I close my "main" Vivaldi window and only then recall that I have another Vivaldi window, which has far fewer tabs. When I finally close that other window, [i]that[/i] is recorded as "the last session". Next day, I get a very small subset of the tabs from the previous day! So, I want a feature to automatically save the collection of tabs from all Vivaldi windows, perhaps in the form of automatically-saved "session history". [b]Or[/b], what about asking the user whether to transfer the tabs to another window when closing a window of a multiple-window instance of Vivaldi? This feature can useful on its own, indepndently of the problem I'm trying to solve.

• That VERY annoying problem has also occurred to me a few times & each time i metaphorically slapped my forehead & berated myself for forgetting i'd opened a second window [which is atypical behaviour for me, hence easy for me to forget on those occasions when i did choose to open the second window]. Though relatively rare for me, nonetheless it happened enough times that i safeguarded myself by keeping the Session Buddy extension permanently installed [which i'd originally installed in 2015-Q1 as the earlier SS's gave me LOTS of crashes that lost my tabs].

…....................................................................................
    My on-SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2.

• @ryofurue:

I sometimes accidentally open a new window by selecting "Open Link in New Window" by mistake. That is fine and so I continue to use the two windows. But then, when I shut down my PC for the day, I close my "main" Vivaldi window and only then recall that I have another Vivaldi window, which has far fewer tabs.

As soon as you realise that another window was open, use Undo to reopen the window with many tabs, switch to the one with fewer tabs and close it. Then you will not lose your session with lots of tabs.

• @Pesala:

@ryofurue:

I sometimes accidentally open a new window by selecting "Open Link in New Window" by mistake. That is fine and so I continue to use the two windows. But then, when I shut down my PC for the day, I close my "main" Vivaldi window and only then recall that I have another Vivaldi window, which has far fewer tabs.

As soon as you realise that another window was open, use Undo to reopen the window with many tabs, switch to the one with fewer tabs and close it. Then you will not lose your session with lots of tabs.

Isn't that quite obvious? :)

If mistake is the only reason for having multiple windows, then your suggestion is a valid workaround. But, I sometimes (not often) deliberately use multiple windows. I wrote about my mistake in my last posting only because that's more frequent than deliberate use. In retrospect, I didn't need that example, because the capability of having multiple windows is part of Vivaldi's feature set.

Now, please don't suggest that I shouldn't forget about the second window if I deliberately use it :) I do forget about it because I have two screens, each having multiple desktops.

By the way "Undo" did nothing visible. (Did you mean "Edit > Undo" ?) But to undo the mistake of opening a new window, you just close it, don't you? :)

• Whether you open a new window by mistake or intentionally, as soon as you close the current window, you become aware that another window is open. Undo on the Trash Bin will always give you the option of recovering the window with many tabs that is your preferred session for startup. So, there is no need to remember what you did many hours ago, Just don't close the second window before reopening the first one.

[attachment=4198]ReopenClosedWindow.png[/attachment]
    Attachments:

• Thank you for your response.
    @Pesala:

Whether you open a new window by mistake or intentionally, as soon as you close the current window, you become aware that another window is open.

What makes you think that? How do you become aware of the other window? What system do you use? On my system (Mac with multiple screens with multiple workspaces), closing one Vivaldi window does not reveal the existence of another when the latter is hidden.

@Pesala:

Undo on the Trash Bin will always give you the option of recovering the window with many tabs that is your preferred session for startup.

Ah! Thank you for the help! I've just tried that and it works. (But, calling that "Undo" misled me. Initially I looked for something called "Undo". Eventually I realized that the item "Window with 59 tabs" at the top of the Trash Bin context menu must be the closed window. I'm writing this parenthetical remark for other people.)

That means that the "session history" I asked for in my initial posting already exists in the form of Trash Bin! The contents of the Trash Bin is even updated when you close Vivaldi so that next time you launch Vivaldi you can recover all the tabs on the two windows from the previous session.

So, my problem is almost solved. I still think it would be better if Vivaldi asked whether I want to transfer the tabs to another window when I'm closing one window; I mean, that would be cleaner than relying on Trash Bin as a back up.

• @ryofurue:

How do you become aware of the other window?

When you click on the close X button on your preferred default window to exit Vivaldi the other window is displayed instead of exiting, so you immediately notice: "Oh" I forgot that I had opened another window!" You now reopen the window you just closed, close the other window first, then exit Vivaldi and your favourite set of tabs is restored on restarting .

• Hi, thanks for your response.

@Pesala:

@ryofurue:

How do you become aware of the other window?

When you click on the close X button on your preferred default window to exit Vivaldi the other window is displayed instead of exiting

That does not happen to me!! I've said that for a few times. Perhaps, you use only one desktop. In that case, closing a Vivaldi window brings up the other Vivaldi window.

But, that happens only when the two Vivaldi windows are on the same desktop.

I'm not making this up. I very often place two windows of a single application on different desktops. Especially for browsers and viewers, because I want to maximize them as much as possible. So, forgetting about the other windows isn't a negligible problem to me.

Returning to the original problem, just today I lost all my tabs and was able to recover all of them thanks to the trash bin trick you taught me.

But there was a hitch. Yesterday, I closed my (only) Vivaldi window with many tabs. Then I was about to shut down my machine when I realized that Vivaldi processes were still eating a lot of CPU time. They were run-away processes, as there were absolutely no Vivaldi windows visible. So I had to force-quit them.

Today, I launched Vivaldi to find there were no tabs. So, salvaged the lost tabs from the trash bin, which froze Vivaldi! The "wait" mouse cursor were spinning and spinning. It was way longer than the time Vivaldi normally takes to launch with that many tabs. Eventually I have to force-quit it again.

Then, I launched Vivaldi again. It went up very quickly with the many tabs.

. . . this whole experience made me realize how I lost tabs once in a while. Since the news of Vivaldi's initial "alpha" version was published, I've been using Vivaldi. From time to time I lose tabs. That problem has stayed since the beginning till today. I now know at least how to recover the lost tabs.

• @ryofurue:

. . . this whole experience made me realize how I lost tabs once in a while.

The way to avoid that, of course, is to learn to use "Save session" from the file menu. For users with multiple windows and loads of tabs, it surely makes sense to do that. Then they can reopen a saved session. I suggest breaking large sessions down into several smaller ones.

There's a lot to be said for loading fewer tabs, and using the sessions feature to load other tab sets only when they are needed.

• @Pesala:

@ryofurue:

. . . this whole experience made me realize how I lost tabs once in a while.

The way to avoid that, of course, is to learn to use "Save session" from the file menu.

Unfortunately, the "Save Session" isn't designed optimally for a precaution against crash. (Let me make sure that we are talking about a loss of tabs when Vivaldi crashes or freezes, as in my example.) First, you have to manually save the current session from time to time. Second, you are forced to give a name to the session. So your "learn to use" is not apt. I thought of using it as a backup against crash, but I, being too lazy :), abandoned the idea.

It's exactly like the back of your disks. Before Time Machine, you were told that you should take a backup from time to time, but you (or at least typical users :) ) are too lazy to do so. Therefore, Time Machine is a blessing. It automatically takes a snapshot from time to time.

So, what we want, I think, is an automatic session history. After a Vivaldi crash and tab loss, you would go to the session menu to find the last auto-saved session . . . this is ideal. Having said that, the Trash Bin serves as a workaround.

Another ideal is that Vivaldi crash less often :) But the frequency of freezing hasn't reduced for a long time. (For Vivaldi fanboys, I'm not saying it freezes more often than other browsers. :) )

• Wanted to push this topic again.

This "problem" also bugs me a lot. I often open links in a new window or start a google search (wich I only would need temporarily) in a new window. Sometimes it happens that I forget about the seccond window and voilà - gone is the session of the first/main window next time.
    The solution not to forget about something isn't helpfull, sorry.

I'd very much prefer and update wich contains restoring also multiple windows as "last session".

Maybe as a trade-off I'd be happy with the oportunity to have the tabs of my "main" window appearing sort of top in the history - at the moment they don't appear in (for example) yesterday's history if I hadn't opened each tab at that day. That makes it also hard to find and re-open each tab via the looooooooooong list of the history.

• @Freidenker01 said in Multiple windows and "session":

Wanted to push this topic again.

This "problem" also bugs me a lot. I often open links in a new window or start a google search (wich I only would need temporarily) in a new window. Sometimes it happens that I forget about the seccond window and voilà - gone is the session of the first/main window next time.

I have additional (or alternative) proposal to solve this "problem" (accidentally closing your "main" Vivaldi window forgetting that you have another Vivaldi window).

What about this? When you click on the "Close" button of the Vivaldi window when there are more than one Vivaldi window, it will ask

Close this window only? | Close all (3) windows?  | Cancel?

[Why is the above line colored like that? as if it were on an editor editing a C++ language source code?] I got this idea from Adobe Reader: When you click on the "Close" button on the window and when there are multiple tabs, Adobe Reader asks this: Close all tabs or only the current active one or cancel? --- This has actually saved me from closing the whole window forgetting about other PDF documents on other tabs.

• @ryofurue said in Multiple windows and "session":

[Why is the above line colored like that? as if it were on an editor editing a C++ language source code?]

You posted indented (blanks at start of line)!

The Forum uses Markdown to format.
    See http://commonmark.org/help/tutorial/ and http://commonmark.org/help/

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.