Vivaldi as a stand-alone app or as a self-containing app for all Linux distros

• Vivaldi is offered as a deb and a rpm package, so those, who use other Linux systems such as pisi or pet might have problems in using Vivaldi. As you guys know, Vivaldi is a stand alone application that goes to live in /opt. You don't really need to install it, but copy that whole vivaldi folder that goes to /opt in your home folder (or any other place) and have a desktop file linked to the vivaldi executive file to start it. This way, it can be run in any Linux distro. Sometimes, some distros might not have some libraries installed, and that can be found out by trying to start vivaldi executive file from a terminal. For example, Solus 1.2 doesn't have 2 libraries, which can be easily installed in that distro or copy pasted in /usr/lib. You can also squash the whole vivaldi folder and use it too. I am writing from such a self-contained vivaldi 1.3 living in my home folder. It is squashed and have only 66.9MB. The stand-alone Vivaldi 1.3 (or normally installed) is 177.2MB. I also have Vivaldi 1.2 (65.5MB) and both of them can be opened side by side. Lately, I'm using only self-contained (squashed) apps and they live in my home folder. I have Firefox47 too and that is 56.6MB. I can upload the self-contained app here, if that's allowed.

• Have you checked out Ruari's unpacker?

https://gist.github.com/ruario/8f648cc3069d1a55d9c8

I needed to do some tweaking to get video to work properly, but otherwise it worked for me.

• @ugly:

Have you checked out Ruari's unpacker?

https://gist.github.com/ruario/8f648cc3069d1a55d9c8

The simplest way to unpack, just download the .deb file and use the archive manager. I don't use rpm, but it might be the same. What is in the opt folder is your full Vivaldi. If you are using Vivaldi 1.3, the executive file is vivaldi-snapshot, and for Vivaldi 1.2, it is vivaldi. That folder is your stand-alone Vivaldi folder. You can carry it your USB stick and use it in other Linux distros. Some distros might not have some libraries, an dyou can find out by running the executive file in the terminal. You can add them to the distro. The size of the stand alone-folder for Vivaldi 1.3 is 169.1MB, and for Vivaldi 1.2, it is 165.4MB.

I use (and carry) squashed self-contained executive apps, sizes given in the first post. Btw, I found Vivaldi few days ago, and I liked its simplicity, so first tried to get it squashed, then use it. It worked. I try not to install apps in my system the "normal" way, that is, try not to use "apt install <package>." That way, the package manager can't mess with my system in an upgrade situation. I am using mainly Ubuntu Yakkety base + Openbox and KDE Neon moved to Yakkety base. As you know, Ubuntu Yakkety base is in continuous development, but won't break my daily use self-contained apps, Libreoffice, Gimp, Firefox47, Vivaldi and so on.</package>

• Interesting.

I'm a Linux noob. Literally started using it as my primary OS like 3 weeks ago, other than a few times I've tried it out before. So there's a lot for me to learn on how stuff works. I appreciate reading posts like yours so I can figure things out. Maybe I'll try it out, just to learn.

• @ugly:

Interesting.

I'm a Linux noob. Literally started using it as my primary OS like 3 weeks ago, other than a few times I've tried it out before. So there's a lot for me to learn on how stuff works. I appreciate reading posts like yours so I can figure things out. Maybe I'll try it out, just to learn.

We learn all the time, so we are all noobs in some way. If you'd like to read about how to create self-contained apps, there are few different ideas around; AppImages, Flatpak, Orbital Apps, Snaps and distros like Qubes.

• Vivaldi Team

Something that my script has going for it over manually unpacking the deb is that you can install (even per user [no root access needed] install) with full desktop environment integration.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.