Thank YOU! Now if you could catch us up to Opera 12 :)

• Tried to sort through all the requests in the other topic and it was clear that you got us all here because of how we relied upon Opera. I've been loyal since the turn of the century and among the few people who can say they happily paid for a web browser. It was worth it. Encourage anyone with the thought to just catch us up to Opera 12 to reply here and save that noise from other topics. Perhaps someone can start a topic of things we didn't like - there are some I didn't use, but nothing I really didn't like. Thanks again and keep it up, looking forward to what shall become!

• Thanks for this post, sorry it hasn't garnered more responses. I've schlepped through all posts dealing w/ bookmarks on all platforms, but none truly addresses any of my questions below.

Opera 12.17's bookmarking panel is sterling; my .adr file is > 16MB! As my bookmarks have grown over the years I've tried to get them into other browsers, via direct import, or via bookmark manager's html-export, but always with no success. The vast majority of items disappeared and what little folder/bookmark relationship data came in was all wrong.

Unfortunately Opera's own bookmark manager never correctly exported the .adr file into an html file; again, nested folders got all screwed up; html heading-level font tags are way inadequate to represent deeply-nested folders; and no indentation for fast visual scanning.

And copying/renaming the .adr file into .txt or .xml file gives similarly-flawed results.

I dread the day Opera 12.17 disappears! I'd gladly pay to keep it forever… or for a standalone utility or app that lets me use my bookmarks as I always have.

I wish Vivaldi team could state in full detail its plans for 12.17 bookmark support. Also, is Opera willing to provide them with all file format and other tech details needed to emulate 12.17's bookmark panel?

Other concerns re: Vivaldi: if we will be able to import Opera 12.17 bookmarks into it, can we avoid sync feature, to protect privacy? And in any case is there any Vivaldi or third-party data mining of bookmark-synced data on Vivaldi's servers?

Thanks to all!!!

You can probably import your Opera 12.17 bookmarks properly in to Vivaldi right now. I did.

Opera ASA will not be cooperating with Vivadli Technologies. Vivaldi will need to write what they want on their own. Since they have veteran browser developers on board, that should not be all that tough.

Their aim is NOT to carbon-copy Opera 12 or any part of it, but to take the next step in browser evolution from where 12 left off. Many things will be similar, many things not.

Vivaldi will not be, I don't think, directly supporting Opera 12 bookmarks in any way, but they did design their import function specifically to handle an .adr file properly, so if it doesn't in your case, I'm sure they'd like to hear from you what went wrong.

• The only things I feel I'm missing are the ability to turn off tab previews (making them invisible in CSS makes it look right, but doesn't eliminate the memory or cpu usage), and the ability to get "Open in New Tab" to always open background.

Both features I think we'll see sooner than later.

• Thanks Ayespy!
    Would you also know answer to other questions re: syncing (pasted below). I'd need to know before testing Vivaldi whether I can bypass syncing or other functions that would cause my bookmarks to be uploaded to a server; I'd prefer to keep them local! If I can do that I'll test Vivaldi's bookmark capabilities on my gi-normous .adr file!

"Other concerns re: Vivaldi: if we will be able to import Opera 12.17 bookmarks into it, can we avoid sync feature, to protect privacy? And in any case is there any Vivaldi or third-party data mining of bookmark-synced data on Vivaldi's servers?"

@opera12lover:

Thanks Ayespy!
    Would you also know answer to other questions re: syncing (pasted below). I'd need to know before testing Vivaldi whether I can bypass syncing or other functions that would cause my bookmarks to be uploaded to a server; I'd prefer to keep them local! If I can do that I'll test Vivaldi's bookmark capabilities on my gi-normous .adr file!

"Other concerns re: Vivaldi: if we will be able to import Opera 12.17 bookmarks into it, can we avoid sync feature, to protect privacy? And in any case is there any Vivaldi or third-party data mining of bookmark-synced data on Vivaldi's servers?"

To be clear, I don't KNOW the answer I just gave above. Just an educated guess, since I've been watching the direction of progress and reading nearly every English-language post since the end of January. So I know what people have been demanding and complaining about, and know what developers have been fixing

You can already import Opera 12.17 bookmarks (vivaldi menu/file/import data). There is no bookmark syncing yet ("coming soon" per Vivaldi), and no bookmark data on Vivaldi servers, but when there is, I think Vivaldi will be hyper-conscious of user privacy.

• Thanks for the clarification and additional info, Ayespy; I feel safer about giving it a try now.

May I ask… when you imported your 12.17 .adr file into Vivaldi, was it very large, deeply-nested set of bookmarks, and did it import perfectly?

Also, is it correct to assume that the original .adr file isn't disturbed or modified by Vivaldi's import process?

Thanks very much for your time!!

Larger than average, nested to at least three levels in more than one place, and imported perfectly as to what bookmark was in what folder. YMMV

What was NOT perfect about it, was it was not alphabetized (bookmarks and folders appear to have been arranged by age) AND, there is no way to alphabetize in Vivaldi as yet, so I had to drag everything where I wanted it. AND, every time you drag across a folder in Vivaldi's bookmark manager right now, it pops open, and now you are dragging across all those entries. I can focus on tedium for long periods, and it still took a number of days before my bookmarks were all in order.

If you're not up for such a task, don't do it until Vivaldi offers automated arranging options (by name, date, whatever) in the bookmark manager.

My original .adr file was untouched.

• At last, somebody picked it up from where it was left. Opera was like an extension of my body. People will understand this. It did 100% of my internet. E-mail, RSS, WAND, the sidebar, everything. And with mouse gestures and middle clicks and stuff, it was just perfect. I was using it eyes closed. And then they ….. it up. I expected the presto engine to be open source and may be developers jumping in to make an alternative, but alas, it just got into the dusty pages of internet.

Now i have high hopes for this project. And i am giving you my word, just release a stable version, fast and snappy enough (right now it is real slow), and i swear to god, i'll switch to Vivaldi and will never look back. Opera can kiss my cheeks.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Please don't let this die.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.