Bookmark Wish List…

• The feature request topic is pretty slammed, so thinking the clarity of separate topic would be nice... The first subject that rang dear in the aforementioned topic was about a bookmark organizer. My Opera bookmark file is nearing 5MB, so organization is crucial. Yes, they can be moved about in the panel, but it was nice to be able to spill it out into the browser and thereby have two folder hierarchies to traverse and file between. It worked pretty well. 1) so that would be the first suggestion for the bookmarks 2) ability to file a bookmark in multiple folders (eg. I have a folder for companies that make Microphones and for companies that make Amplifiers, some make both so where do I file? - sure I could use sub-pages from their site but these are prone to change). 3) on that, how about a history of pages linked to by that bookmark - hang with me here - figure this would be a prerequisite for an auto-update of stale links ... started my bookmark file around the turn of the century, so some of the links are no longer valid - could utilize the Wayback Machine to show pages I was trying to get to - and perhaps use information on those pages to attempt to find a current version of the page 4) so if a link can be filed in multiple folders, it would be nice to see where else it is filed, so if I have a bookmark highlighted or if I am on the page, every folder it is in would be lightly highlighted. 5) not a huge fan of unified searches on devices, but as they are becoming more common and I might even begin to like, it would be nice if bookmarks could effect search results 6) how about a number of times visited counter? this would help with ranking the results returned above 7) now that hard drive storage isn't an limitation, how about the option of a cache of each bookmark? (perhaps even an archive of the cache) 8) sync'd bookmarks (not necessarily through a central server, but to be able to take two bookmark files and merge while seeing the differences and similarities and not loosing information)

• Wants:

Bookmark bar. One that can be set vertical beside my tabs on the right. Preferably a setting to show icons only - no labels

Ability to drag bookmarks from one folder to another without every single folder I pass over along the way instantly springing open. That "open folder on hover" function needs some kind of delay on it.

Single-click to open bookmarks, not double-click.

Ability to customize favicons so as to avoid duplication and too many blank bookmark favicons.

That's all for now.

• Please make the Bookmarks Toolbar available in Vivaldi. This is available in Chromium browser so should be easy to implement.

• One more vote for bookmarks toolbar on vivaldi. It vould make it usable ;)

• Right click alphabetic sorting of bookmarks would be good too.

• I'm not interested in Bookmark Toolbar or Management.

What I want is a FAST drill-down search through the bookmarks.

• @brianlj:

I'm not interested in Bookmark Toolbar

they can male it optional. But without it, Vivaldi for me is useless :pinch:

• As for the bookmark bar some of you guys seem to want. Would that nok make vivaldi more like chrome? as i understand the devs a looking to differentiate their browser rather than copying other browsers (besides old opera)

• Vivaldi Team

@Terryphi:

Please make the Bookmarks Toolbar available in Vivaldi. This is available in Chromium browser so should be easy to implement.

We are Chromium based, but (mostly) everything in the UI is built from scratch. I agree that quick access to bookmarks is needed. There is plenty to do, and bookmarks is absolutely on the list. If we decide to add something like a bookmark bar, it will certainly be optional.

Henrik Granaas-Helmers
    Designer, Vivaldi Technologies

• @Benom:

As for the bookmark bar some of you guys seem to want. Would that nok make vivaldi more like chrome? as i understand the devs a looking to differentiate their browser rather than copying other browsers (besides old opera)

It would be truly perverse to not have the option of a bookmarks toolbar simply to be different when it is such a popular and useful feature. :lol:

I am glad to see that the devs are committed to providing this option in due course. If you do not want it you do not have to use it.

• @helmers:

@Terryphi:

Please make the Bookmarks Toolbar available in Vivaldi. This is available in Chromium browser so should be easy to implement.

We are Chromium based, but (mostly) everything in the UI is built from scratch. I agree that quick access to bookmarks is needed. There is plenty to do, and bookmarks is absolutely on the list. If we decide to add something like a bookmark bar, it will certainly be optional.

Henrik Granaas-Helmers

Sure…make it optional. No need to implement it and hard-code it. But more options I'll have with Vivaldi, more chances I will throw away other browsers. So far, Vivaldi is on a perfect way to become my favorite.

Is there any estimated time, when we can expect this feature? (or official release?)

• Vivaldi Team

@sas1:

Is there any estimated time, when we can expect this feature? (or official release?)

At this point the only thing that's official is that we are working on it. We are very impatient with getting a first final version out, but there is a ton of work to do on features, overall quality and performance. Keep in mind that this is just the beginning. We are not going to stop adding features at version 1!

Henrik Granaas-Helmers

• I like the way I can Bookmark pages in Opera 12 style, just browse your bookmarks (even in sub sub folders..) and +add the opened tab to it.

• I like that they are searchable via the address bar (even the first lines of the page could be indexed and displayed with low ranking as search result)

*nicknames

• I would also like an option to cache / save the bookmarked page as a file on hard disk and link to the file it as an alternative address

• If text of the bookmarked page is highlighted, could this be copied to the bookmark get (indexed) and highlight again if I reopen the page? (maybe there are ideas to connect that with the notes function..)

Thanks!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.