All right, this is the moment many of you have been waiting for - a new Snapshot is available! Make sure to check out the revamped Themes and let us know what you think about the improvements and new features that we introduced. I hope you like the cover picture too. 🤭
As always, this thread will be locked, so you can continue the discussion under the linked blog post. 😉
@wpcoe The latest Stable build is newer than the latest Snapshot build. If you are using the Snapshot build, then 4.2.2406.40 is the latest Snapshot version, but 4.2.2406.44 is the latest Stable version.
Snapshot vs Stable
Install the Snapshot as a Standalone Version so that it does not interfere with your settings for the Stable release.
@gmg see the attached gif where I add and remove the space sign. I notice that there is a colon added or removed in the status message depending on whether the space is added or not. Messages are found when I don't use the space in the search field and the status bar says
Search field: from:email@example.com -->"Search for fromAddress:"firstname.lastname@example.org" returned 156 results in x ms"
Search field: from: email@example.com --> "Search for fromAddress "firstname.lastname@example.org" returned 156 results in x ms"
(and in received it only shows 94 of those, which seems to be correct. Not sure why or where those other results are)
I also created a fresh profile to test there, same thing.
First of all thank you very much for the quick and valid reply! Well, i would like to give a few hints in what i have learned in solving my problem and what might be useful for others.
The culprit of the Private Window instant crashes was my very old Preferences file (411 kb big).
Copy/Paste whole profiles including the registry key does not work.
Import Bookmarks, History and Settings and Passwords in a clean new profile does not work as expected.
If the old profile got corrupted over years, there is now no way to 'repair it', just leave it alone. What i have done is:
Copy corrupt Profile-folder 'Default' to desktop; export registry key CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Vivaldi\PreferenceMACs\Default to desktop and replace in the reg file the Default with Profile 1:
Export Passwords in csv (Flags enable 'Password import'), very important
Delete my Standalone installation whole Vivaldi Folder and whole Vivaldi registry key; install new standalone snapshot and ticking make default; create new profile (it's always 'Profile 1' on a clean install); exit Vivaldi.
Delete the 'Profile 1' reg key in Vivaldi and import my edited key in registry; rename the Default profile folder from Desktop to 'Profile 1' and copy to 'User Data'
Launch Vivaldi; click on Default profile button and launch the the other profile: everything from the old corrupt Default profile is there, except Login Data of cause; exit Vivaldi.
Copy Bookmarks and History from 'Profile 1' to the fresh new 'Default' profile. With the two Profiles side-by-side i redo in the new profile what i liked in settings, extensions, theme and so on in the faulty profile (not installation-wide flags, they don't survive this procedure, take a note before).
Here is the thing
After applying almost all settings, extensions, theme and stuff from the corrupt profile in my new profile, the CPU usage is just a fraction of what it used to be on the faulty profile. This is true even with both profiles running. With 50+ tabs open combined in both profiles the CPU usage is around 0,4 percent when not typing. It was idle never below 7 percent before. Also, the AMD-GPU-bug is gone, meaning, my graphiccard resets always to normal state. My Vivaldi Browser is now way snappier and cooler on CPU than before (Preference file is just 39 kb); i am happy the Private Window crash occurred, which is now of cause not the case anymore (but still in the other corrupt Profile when i try it there).
Yes, i have applied all my flags as they where before.
Enabled: #enable-gpu-rasterization, #username-first-flow, #PasswordImport, #omnibox-tab-switch-suggestions, #enable-parallel-downloading, #back-forward-cache
@rseiler Yeah, @Ruarí and the entire Vivaldi team are an amazing group of people! Normally, you don't see so many fixes in a "minor update". It's normally just a Chromium bump plus a few other critical fixes... because any fixes that get backported require extra testing, and then everything needs to be tested again with the new Chromium base. The 4.1 update (3) release must have required a HUGE effort on their part, and that's over and above all the work that was also being done on the next 4.2 release.