@janrif said in Cannot install latest versions!:
Bingo! That was it. Installation via Help> "Check for Updates" menu & it worked as one would expect.
It is strange though, it should be possible to use the downloaded installer to update/overwrite a current install as well. But using the Help > Update option is faster and likely less error-prone. For instance the installer does not necessarily check for running processes, while the updater makes sure the browser is closed before continuing.
I'm thinking that when I updated Windows, the setting for "Appdata" changed then. I certainly didn't do it consciously. Hmmm, now I don't know whether to leave it unhidden or not.
AFAIK AppData is always a hidden folder. There should rarely be any need for most users to access the files there. Unfortunately, this does not match with real life as troubleshooting stuff often requires users to open AppData and examine configuration files and logs for different programs.
It's up to you if you want to see it in Windows Explorer or not - it doesn't make any difference functionality-wise. As long as you don't change the permissions on the folder itself - just choose to show hidden files/folders in Explorer, and this can be relatively quickly toggled.
It would still be interesting to get a view of the vivaldi_installer.log file and the error you got from the installer, but not a big deal as it works for you now 🙂 👍
I filled the report for this same bug for previous version too. Very annoying: you close the browser, open it - tab just loads with scroll reseted. Same works on Brave/Chrome/Firefox and this really messes up the reading experience.
@Vus said in Stop automatic reloading of failed pages:
If I enter some site name that is not available or doesn't exist, Vivaldi, after the loading fails, tries to reload it again and again.
Please, have you some steps for me to reproduce?
@Dancer18 said in Import From SeaMonkey?:
Maybe you can export them to Firefox or Thunderbird (or import them from there).
Unfortunately they are already incompatible, AFAIR.
I already asked for a complete migration and was told it is on the list.
@IAmMarchHare probably you are using different rules/blocklists hence the different behaviours. Finding which causes the problem would need the uBO logging function, I wouldn't know how to do it with other blockers.
Vivaldi 5.4.2753.51 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
OS Windows 11 Version 22H2 (Build 22621.521)
I close it buy using the x button top rt (is there another way?)
I pin the tabs (2 maybe three) using the rt clik/pin tab. I have V set at homepage=specific, startup with=last session & always load pinned tabs.
V is not my default browser (and its looking so far never to be).
I can not reproduce the issue anymore on 5.4 Stable+5.5 RC1 Snapshot ↔ 5.4 Android 10.
I will close bug VB-76628 "Deleting a saved password on one of my devices does NOT delete it from any of my other devices.".
Hi, I use the Snowflake extension since it was publish from a German IT magazin to support people in the Iran and China.
It is more or less a proxy use open transport over a WebRTC connection.
You need a Tor browser to get connected, I hope many people can get there hands on it.
@RasheedHolland Please report issue to Vivaldi tracker
@mib2berlin said in Vivaldi's window doesn't open maximized (multiple profiles):
If you have a report number I can look for the status of the bug.
Or i can 😉