Do you copied all your settings and data from the stable version to the snapshot version or did you start with a new fresh profile in the snapshot version?
If you copied your data you could try to refresh your profile and afterwards copy back data from your old profile one by one to see what breaks the pdf printer.
Btw in the meantime you can still bypass the problem with the printer crash by pressing "Ctrl + Shift + P" to open the system print dialogue.
Hi, as I sad in this thread already, I have a GM 965 Intel iGPU wich is ultra low end and I have 20-30 % full screen video tab.
The driver for Intel and all other vendors from Microsoft are often crippled or even broken.
Make sure you use original driver for your GPU and disable Microsoft update for GPU drivers.
@luetage I'm a little embarrassed, doing a quick search slipped my mind. You're right, I should've delayed it longer It's not a major deal breaker, although it's rather annoying. And for everyone else's reference, I too am using a Wacom pen and screen. Although based on the previous posts, this seems to affect even non-Wacom devices. I do hope a fix comes up in the near future.
Well, thanks for the feedback but it seems that the only thing this does is act as a shortcut to my extensions page allowing me to enable/disable extensions and use their options. Not really very functional.
As to the problem itself, extension icons not showing up in the extensions bar. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Vivaldi, (one more time!), but this time I followed directions and actually deleted Vivaldi folder containing my user profile. I also used CCleaner to scour the registry for remnants which I deleted as well.
After reinstalling this time Vivaldi is now showing all the extensions I've added, except for a couple that apparently just don't work. One of those is Google Drive, which is odd because it's added when Vivaldi is installed. Another is Mega, but I can live without that, maybe it'll be fixed someday.
I may run into more, but if I do I'll report them as not working.
In the meantime, I'm back up and running with Vivaldi including my extensions and enjoying a great new browser!
You said on first post you aslo tried 1.12 and it won't open, now it opens. Seems a random issue, maybe clearing the profile and letting vivaldi rebuild it would have solved this. It still is an annoyance that happens to many users.